• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trac-loc or no Trac-loc

captaind

NAXJA Forum User
Doing the rear diff fluid on my Aunt's 94 Jeep Cherokee Country, w/ Select Trac.

Does this have trac-loc (ie., do I need to add friction modifier)?

How do I find out for sure?

captaind said:
Doing the rear diff fluid on my Aunt's 94 Jeep Cherokee Country, w/ Select Trac.

Does this have trac-loc (ie., do I need to add friction modifier)?

How do I find out for sure?
It is not likely it has trac-loc, there would be a tag at the full hole.
Also most good rear end lubes come with the friction modifier so read the label.

Last edited:
langer1 said:
Also most good rear end lubes come with the friction modifier so read the label.

I'm using straight 80w90.

I don't see anything on the diff cover except the rubber plug.

But, I guess I would still like to be 100% that is has no trac-loc (dealer doesn't
even know).

In the event I never find out for sure, can I go wrong adding a friction modifier "just in case" ??

Thanks

captaind said:
I'm using straight 80w90.

I don't see anything on the diff cover except the rubber plug.

But, I guess I would still like to be 100% that is has no trac-loc (dealer doesn't
even know).

In the event I never find out for sure, can I go wrong adding a friction modifier "just in case" ??

Thanks
Friction modifier will not hurt, that why it's added to most diff lubes.

Is there a paper tag wrapped around the axle tube behind the right rear tire?

My 99' D35 had a traclok and there was no tags,labels or anything to indicate it was there other than I got a build sheet from the dealer by the VIN# so I knew it had one that way.If you can't get a build sheet then pull the cover off and look for yourself.A traclok will only have one opening in its side and open carrier will have an opening on 2 sides.

XJAY1999 said:
...pull the cover off and look for yourself. A traclok will only have one opening in its side and open carrier will have an opening on 2 sides.

darn ... i've already pulled it and rtv'd it back up. just ready to fill. i don't know that much about rear ends, so i don't recall whether it had one or two openings.

i'll swing by the dealer and hit them up for a build sheet.

thanks everyone.

Re: Got Build Sheet -> Re: Trac-loc or no Trac-loc

captaind said:
Ok - I have the build sheet. Here is some info (some may be irrelevant). Can someone please decipher whether this has "Trac-Lock"?

Code DHP - Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System
Code DRMP - Dana 35C/194MM Rear Axle
Code DMDS - 3.55 Axle Ratio
Code DJHS - Dana M30/181MM Front Axle
Code DHAS - Lock-Up Torque Converter
Code DGSS - 4 speed Auto AW4 Transmission
It don't say you do.

Here is another way to tell. Jack up both rear tires off the ground. Put the gearshift selector in neutral. Turn one of the rear tires by hand. If the other rear tire turns in the opposite direction, you have an open differential. If the other tire turns the same direction, you have a limited slip or locking differential.

Back