• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat towing a YJ with the XJ

JeffsJeep04

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone done it? I've seen it once, but I'm just not sure if it'd be a good idea or not. This would be a temporary solution until we can get a big trailer to pull behind the truck. I borrow a truck when possible, but sometimes one just isn't available. Thoughts?

I towed a 71 CJ-5 with my 98 XJ and I wouldn't want to tow anything that is much bigger then that. It was a little doggy on hills. My brakes were up to the task with the CJ but I am guessing the YJ weighs a little more so it might get a little scary.

My YJ is <3500, not sure by how much. It's a 4 banger with d44's, AL rims, and irok's. I'll just have to hook it up and see. Thoughts on tranny coolers?

I flat tow a CJ7 (rarely) with my XJ. You had better use a tranny cooler and consider synthethetic diff lube if you are going to tow often or long distance.
If you have an automatic, do not use overdrive, keep it in 3 on the shifter.
Try a dry run to see if your Wrangler pulls straight and doesn't wag back and forth like a dogs tail. On pavement with patches of dirt, gravel or sand and everywhere off pavement, watch for the Wrangler to try and push the tail of your XJ and maybe jackknife, almost happened to me. Drive gently, change lanes smoothly and slowly, anticipate your stops and slow down early.

I flat tow my 94 XJ with my 97 XJ.

No trouble, but don't forget it's behind you! Especially on the curves. I have 4.0 Auto in both of them and has no shortage of power....with 4.56 gears and 33" tires. I have NO engine mods.

I did add a very large radiator and the biggest tranny cooler I could fit. I have towed it from Portland OR to Los Angeles...no trouble with overheating...and yes it was summertime.

The biggest trouble you will have is if you don't respect the combined weight of the vehicle. ALL HELL WILL BREAK LOSE!!!! If you like to drive fast, don't even think about it.

I towed my CJ-5 and after doing the 180 down the muddy dirt road and into the ditch I unhooked the CJ and used it to pull the stock XJ out of the ditch. Point is as stated before, RESPECT the weight of that sucker behind you or it could end up in front of you!

I flat-towed my 89 S10 Blazer with my XJ(90 4.0 5spd) and it was a little scary on the backroads but besides the sluggishness up the hills on the interstate you really couldn't tell it was there.

Back