• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

All it reads is CAL ...

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
after installing an overhead console. The tempeture works good but the compass do not. If I remove it and let it sit on the seat it works better in that it it shows the direction I am going but when mounted inits correct location it do not. Where does this thing get signal from? I assume it is not from GPS; or is it? For a magnetic compass which I am inclined to believe, then it is correct. I need to be calibrated. How is this done? How much of the head liner need to be removed? TIA.

CAL means 'out of calibration'. The instructions to calibrate it are located in your owners manual. You'll also want to adjust it for magnetic variance to match the area of the country you live in. These instruction are also in the owners manual.

Thanks jeepzz but I do not have an owners manual. They usally do not come with a used vehicle. In addition, I picked up the console from a U-pick yard on Saturday. I found something searching the past forum that I will try. There is also something about degausing. This one is beyond me :wave:
Thanks for your quick responce.

Owners manual says when CAL appears drive around 360* 3 times and compass will be adjusted.

To set variance -
Ignition ON, Press and hold COMP/TEMP, press and hold US/Metric for 5 seconds. VAR will appear, release buttons. Press US/metric and step through the numbers until you get to 8 (for Florida). Press COMP/TEMP to enter into memory. Display will blank for 5 seconds and then your done

Tim_MN said:
Owners manual says when CAL appears drive around 360* 3 times and compass will be adjusted.

To set variance -
Ignition ON, Press and hold COMP/TEMP, press and hold US/Metric for 5 seconds. VAR will appear, release buttons. Press US/metric and step through the numbers until you get to 8 (for Florida). Press COMP/TEMP to enter into memory. Display will blank for 5 seconds and then your done

Thanks Tim. It seem to be working now. I was able to do the calibration and that cleared the 'CAL' on the display. I did not set the variance though because I did not know what it should be for FL. I will do that this evening.

Magnetic Variance for the state of Florida is 8 unless you are on the Atlantic shoreline in which case is 9.

So, I go to this open area, shut off the Jeep, start it back up, wait for the display to turn on, and start my circles...nothing, still showing "cal". I tried doing it while it's in the "set variance" mode too, again...Nothing. Am I doing something wrong, or what? How big of a circle? I've driven around in circles for about a half hour, and mine's still showing "N" and cal. I've tried a fairly large circle quite a few times, donuts, just about everything.

Back