• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Tranny

Jr.Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Did anyone ever have any problems with their AW4 with the power/comfort switch? My cousin's XJ had this switch and barely had any power in 2,3,and 4 gear. Is this common with these transmissions?

Last edited:
Sorry, it was an 87 2.5L AW4 auto. From a stop, in Drive it wouldn't move. It just reved up if he stepped on the gas. In 3rd gear it pulled but with very little power. In 2nd gear it pulled more than 3rd but still with little power. If he put the shifter in 1st it pulled out correctly. When he drove it he had to shift from 1st-2nd-3rd-Drive to get up to speed. It seemed like the transmission was slipping. Very confusing. Since he was getting a newer XJ he beat the shit out of this one and then drove it to the junk yard.......Never finding out what was wrong with it. The XJ I just got has the power/comfort switch so I'm wondering if this is a common problem. Pheeeww!!

Jr.Jeeper said:
Sorry, it was an 87 2.5L AW4 auto. From a stop, in Drive it wouldn't move. It just reved up if he stepped on the gas. In 3rd gear it pulled but with very little power. In 2nd gear it pulled more than 3rd but still with little power. If he put the shifter in 1st it pulled out correctly. When he drove it he had to shift from 1st-2nd-3rd-Drive to get up to speed. It seemed like the transmission was slipping. Very confusing. Since he was getting a newer XJ he beat the shit out of this one and then drove it to the junk yard.......Never finding out what was wrong with it. The XJ I just got has the power/comfort switch so I'm wondering if this is a common problem. Pheeeww!!
the issue with your AW4 behind the 2.5 (very rare combo, by the way) sounds exactly like the tranny computer took a dive and was not sending shift signals to the tranny, it probably would have been a very simple fix. the Power/comfort switch was only in older models, and in later models was deleted and left in the Power mode as the default. generally the switch itself is not problematic, but if you have some corroded connections at the tranny computer (or a bad ground, etc) that would explain the problems.

the AW4 is a great tranny as long as the wiring isn't giving you any hassle; mechanically they are (IMO) one of the best slush-boxes ever made.

I was gonna say that the switch generally does not create the problem, only resets the shift points higher to around 5 grand when you mash on it and has a more firm shift. But these guys beat me to it. :laugh3: BTW, it is better to leave yours set in the power position because it is a faster and more firm shift, which means less wear and tear on the tranny. :lecture:

Back