• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 242 grinding noise

JKTXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a 2nd XJ today, a 93 Country with AW4 and the 242 Selec Trac T/C. The 4wd works fine but in 4lo and 4hi it has a slight grinding/dragging type noise when you decelerate. In 2wd and 4wd full time it sounds completely normal but this noise in part time is kinda concerning. My other XJ has a 231 w/ 5speed and does not do it, but not really an apples to apples comparison. To elaborate on the noise, sounds like brakes when something drags on the rotor. Thoughts?

Checked the oil level in the case? In part time, any difference in frt to rr tire rollout puts stress on the chain. If its low on oil, it will be noisy.

Yep, oil level is good. Seems to work fine but the noise makes me nervous. Have the cooling system apart right now, will do some more diagnostic of the T/C once I have it driving again.

Back