• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" BB

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking around at these 3" BB and i found one by rough country for $120, now i know that everyone thinks these things are so bad and are totally against them, but i cant afford a regular 3" lift right noq, and what i wanna know is with doing the 3" budget boost, will i HAVE to have new shocks? or is it something you all would recomend? i know that having shocks improves the ride and everything, but do i have to have them for it to work?

3" BB? You mean a 2"? Or maybe an AAL 3"?

Anyway - I don't understand where you've seen a 3" BB, but to answer the question on shocks...

You may be able to get away with stock shocks, but I doubt it. If you droop your suspension at all it will seriously limit travel because they will be maxed out.

Don't skimp on the lift. Wait it out and save your money. Do it right the first time.

well the thing is, ill prolly never have enough money to get the lift i wanna get, being only 17 and putting out $210 bucks a month for insurance and working part time, its kinda hard to save, espaecially with gas as high as it is. but if you wanan see for yourself, go to Jcwhitneys website and search under jeep suspension and you'll see it. and for the shocks, someone said id be ok but they'd bottom out on speedbumps and stuff, and wouldnt be a long before id get shocks put on it anyway, just maybe a could of weeks, unless there are so decent priced shocks i can get

Cherokeekid88 said:
and for the shocks, someone said id be ok but they'd bottom out on speedbumps and stuff, and wouldnt be a long before id get shocks put on it anyway, just maybe a could of weeks, unless there are so decent priced shocks i can get

That's actually backwards. When lifting your rig with stock shocks you aren't worried about them bottoming out when compressed but when you let the wheel droop.

I installed one a a 94' XJ and the stock front shocks were definately too short. With the vehicle at ride height sitting level the front shocks were at full extension. With the RC 3inch you will need an adjustable track bar also.

Why are considering a 3" lift? What about 1 1/2" or 2"? A little easier to work with.

Cherokeekid88 said:
well the thing is, ill prolly never have enough money to get the lift i wanna get, being only 17 and putting out $210 bucks a month for insurance and working part time, its kinda hard to save, espaecially with gas as high as it is. but if you wanan see for yourself, go to Jcwhitneys website and search under jeep suspension and you'll see it. and for the shocks, someone said id be ok but they'd bottom out on speedbumps and stuff, and wouldnt be a long before id get shocks put on it anyway, just maybe a could of weeks, unless there are so decent priced shocks i can get
I completely understand where you are coming from. I'm the same age and pay my own bills, too. I lucked out though with some extra cash. Who knows maybe you will, too.

Anyway, that being said... go with a 2" BB. You won't really need to get new shocks because the 2" BBs actually only give around 1.75" of lift over stock. If you do go this route, get the AAL kit, not the blocks. Then later on, you can get new shocks if you'd like, and trim to fit 31s.

Best of luck to you...

Back