• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97' XJ cooling upgrade

geepr1

NAXJA Forum User
As with most XJ's, mine runs a bit hot at slow speeds and on hot days. I am looking at swapping my radiator and pump out to a GDI 3-core and a Flow Kooler pump w /195 T-stat. I was wondering if anyone else has done this, and if so, what were the results???

I just did the 3-core swap and 180 t-stat, and now it runs at about 195 on highway and 210 in city. This is in 100 degree weather with the AC on. I'm going to get the flowkooler next.

My 88' has the closed system. I have a GDI 3Row. Turbo City Thermostat housing which is bored out. 185 t-stat and the stock water pump. Runs around 175 on the highway, 195 in the city.

Personally I don't think you gain anything with the TBC t-stat housing and FK water pump. I have both and never noticed a change. The radiator will help.

There is one proven solution for the high temp guage readings...and apperently Jeep themselfs thaught it up all on there own...Yank the temp guage!!!
My 96 has NO guages (other than fuel) I have never had a high temp reading and have lived in ignorance ever since I bought my XJ.

Now for the truth...I HATE NOT HAVING GUAGES. I have only had my Jeep for a short while and hve yet to get to a junk yard to find a dash with all the guages...Then I can join everybody with the over-heating thing

Back