• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it worth up grading to a HD231?

It all depends on how much you want and what you plan on using it for.

Add up the upgrades and you eventually be able to afford a Atlas.

Rebuild kit
SYE
HD chain
4:1 low

Most of us have been or are still in the same situation with axles.

Well, no 4:1 low, maybe Klune or just sell it and get the Atlas or Rocktrac.

Right now I can only afford the SYE and I have noticed what I think is chain slip when I ran the Con last weekend. I have an AA SYE coming, and I figure I might as well at least put a new chain on to boot.

If I go with the Klune, the HD chain would work great. If I decide to dump it and go with one of the other two, then the OEM should work fine.

What is the deal with this chain, 150k sounds low to be needing a new one. Has anyone else noticed trouble with their 231's.

You got the right idea. If you are going to keep the 231 and get a Klune then a HD shaft, chain, and gears would be perfect.

I put a JB Conversions HD231 in my XJ a year and a half ago. The only issue was leaks, I ended up splitting the case and resealing it.

There shouldn't be any question whether or not you've got chain slip. when it skips a tooth on a sprocket, it makes a horrible SNAP! And this is why I did it. When I finally disassembled the tcase, the chain was loose enough that I could almost get it off the sprockets without taking the sprockets off the shafts.

JB Conversions claims that the HD231 in an XJ should stand up to a Klune without any problems.

Getting back to cost...... if you have to do a rebuild on a stock case and you want an SYE and HD chain, it's kind of hard to ignore JB's price. Figure $250 for new chain and sprockets, add a master rebuild kit, and an SYE, and you're up over 6 bills.

Back