• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't free my TRE

Dragline

NAXJA Forum User
Help! My Tie Rod End that connects the pitman arm to the Drag Link is shot. It feels like I'm steering a boat. Problem is I can't get the Castle Nut off the end to remove the TRE. The whole shaft just sits there spinning. I've tried lifting the body to put some weight on it but that didn't help. I tried jamming the pickle fork in there to put some tension on it but still no-go. I managed to get some locking pliers on the shaft where the grease boot is (was) but I can't get a good enough grip on the shaft. It just keeps spinning. Any suggestions. Since I'm replacing it anyway I was thinking about cutting the shaft off with a hacksaw. If I do this will I be able to knock whats left of the shaft with the castle nut still on it UP through the arm?

You may want to consider putting a SMALL tack-weld on the ball-joint stud where it touches the ball-joint housing. That should keep the sucker from turning long enough to get the nut off of there. If no welder, then try cutting through the nut and shaft as close to the arm as possible, then use a grinder to finish cutting the stub down. I have had to do that a couple of times. Hope this helps, Ren

Get your self a nut splitter!!! Crack it off and remove the TRE with the pickle fork. SEARS store's sell them under the crapsman name. ;)

Good luck,
CW

RNMedic said:
its tapered won't go up through the shaft, grind or cut the castle nut off

That's what I was afraid of.

cwlongshot said:
Get your self a nut splitter!!! Crack it off and remove the TRE with the pickle fork. SEARS store's sell them under the crapsman name.

Good luck,
CW

Thanks, now why didn't I think of that.

The trick is to put that piece in a bind so it can't turn. On the other TREs you just slip a jack under them and lift - drives the TRE up into the tapered hole and it binds and stops spinning. But on the pitman arm, I get too nervous about putting too much pressure off axis on the steering box shaft. So for that one, take a good-size C-clamp and clamp the drag link tighly to the pitman arm to get the same effect. You may have to crank it down pretty damn tight, but it works every time.

Back