• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

smoking

jeeppowermj

NAXJA Forum User
I was offroading and got stuck on a pretty extreme angle. The right side was up in the air about as far as it could go without rolling. It was idling for about 5 min. when I was hunting for a strap at my house. When I came back it started to smoke really bad out of the exhaust. I shut it down and got it to level ground and started it and it smoked again real bad. It leakes oil out of a little exhaust leak pretty bad. Is this from the oil on the top end of the motor or do you think I burnt up a ring or something. I let it idle for about 3 minutes and it smoked the whole time.

At that angle, you had oil that got past the rings and into the cylinder. As long as it didn't "hydrolock" everything should pretty much be fine. You are going to smoke for a while until it burns out all the oil throughout the whole exhaust.

Yeah, you just got some oil past the rings... normal for being at such an extreme angle (the oil stays level, so it's probably the rear two rings). Just double check your oil level and top off if needed.. Start 'er up and keep an eye on the oil pressure, let it burn all the smoke off. If the oil pressure is OK, and the smoke goes away after a while then you're fine.

jeeppowermj said:
I cant keep track of oil pressure.... the sending unit is bad. But how would I know if its hydrolocked? How long should it take to stop smoking?

sending unit is a cheap fix and almost a necesity...

it is right next to the distributor and can be changed in a few minutes...

oil%20sender%20outline%20IMG_9295.JPG

i would do that...

Isn't the oil pick-up tube in the deepest part of the pan? with it setting at that steep an angle and all the oil in the front I would guess two maybe 3 cylinders couldn't there be some ring damage to the other cylinders? what about bearing damage.... DEFINATELY fix that oil sending unit may not hurt to give it an oil change too.. just in case there was some wear on some internals that may have tossed some metal shavings around, you never know??....?? better to be safe than sorry. Good luck

Back