• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting a 60" Hi-Lift in/on an XJ

I know there are probably 47 threads on this but I am too lazy too look for them.

I scored a brandy new 60" Hi-Lift for the donut.

Now, I just nees to figure out how in the world to mount it.

Before anyone suggests it, I do not have the $$ to buy a fancy roof rack / basket.

Simple, effective, safe ways anyone?

Pic of the rig in it's current state (sans Hi-Lift) below.

+/- 4" homebrewed lift on 31's.

103_0368.jpg.w300h225.jpg

Thanky!

-cmc-

i lay mine in the back seat - sloping up from the bottom of the rear cargo area on the passenger side resting on the side of the seat and it ends up right about where the seat belt for the front passenger attaches.

but - i have a 2 door...

you can see it through the window in this picture:
http://www.opiebennett.com/images/Jeep/Prairie City 1-04-05/IMG_2571.jpg

it wedges in there very nicely... with the 2 door...

on the 4 door, the peak of it ends somewhere in the middle of the rear door window...

That is kinda what I was thinking... was gonna put it on the driver's side with the stud from the factory spare tire mount thru one of the holes and QuickFist clamp at the top but it ends up running right thru the middle of the rear door window.

48" would work.
:mad:

-cmc-

this might now not be what you wnat but
Im guessing yoiu would have gotten a 48" if the price was right..

I so why not just cut it down to what ever size would fit and

"put it on the driver's side with the stud from the factory spare tire mount thru one of the holes and QuickFist clamp at the top "

XJ_ranger said:
i lay mine in the back seat - sloping up from the bottom of the rear cargo area on the passenger side resting on the side of the seat and it ends up right about where the seat belt for the front passenger attaches.

but - i have a 2 door...

you can see it through the window in this picture:
http://www.opiebennett.com/images/Jeep/Prairie City 1-04-05/IMG_2571.jpg

it wedges in there very nicely... with the 2 door...

on the 4 door, the peak of it ends somewhere in the middle of the rear door window...
Is it just wedged in there, or is it bolted down somehow? I was thinking of doing this, but on the drivers side.

i mounted my high lift on the hood using the 4xrac brackets shown above with support plates i made out of steel on the bottom and top of the hood --- just plates that fit the mounting bolts with 4 holes...but with those brackets you can get creative and mount the jack anywhere...i also have seen on xj's and tj's on the rear bumper with these brackets but the front of the hood towards the windshield...search for pics b/c there are posts but i can post a pic soon. inside is nice so it wont get stolen and free from moisture but the 4 x rac braqckets come with a way to lock the jack as well....good luck and be creative! also....consider thaqt the jack is heavy and make sure that your mounting system can take vibs and rattle! if you mount it of course...

cmcolfax said:
I know there are probably 47 threads on this but I am too lazy too look for them.

There's a way to mount it securely with 2 bolts and a lock in less than 1 hour with a drill and hand tools... For under $5

But I'm too lazy to share it

Gil BullyKatz said:
There's a way to mount it securely with 2 bolts and a lock in less than 1 hour with a drill and hand tools... For under $5

But I'm too lazy to share it

good call :)

I mounted mine that way on my 90 and 97. The 97 took a little over an hour 'cause I had to use two different size bolts.

Starboard M said:
Is it just wedged in there, or is it bolted down somehow? I was thinking of doing this, but on the drivers side.

it wedges in there REALLY tight - especialy when i stack the shovel on top and wedge it in there more. i have jumped the XJ :gag: and it didnt move.

my tool box on the other hand ended up in my passengers lap IN THE FRONT SEAT FROM THE CARGO AREA...

i no longer worry about the hi-lift moving...

If you're still running the stock rear bumper take it off. Then drill a hole in each of the stock bumper brackets so you can mount the hi-lift. You can use bolts and wing nuts to cleanly mount the jack.
Now you just scored a secure place for your jack and a stout bumper!

dsc00014small6vm.jpg

mounted to the roof useing 2 pieces of 1x1 tubing 45'd on the ends to run bolts thru the factory runners on the roof, then took another piece of 1x1 welded 2 bolts on it sticking up to go thru the hi-lift, then got wing nuts to run down on the bolts.. I can get a better pic if you need one.

sixditch said:
If you're still running the stock rear bumper take it off. Then drill a hole in each of the stock bumper brackets so you can mount the hi-lift. You can use bolts and wing nuts to cleanly mount the jack.
Now you just scored a secure place for your jack and a stout bumper!

Hmmmm... THAT sounds interesting, secure, simple, safe.

Got a pic? Or a better write up? Did you re-mount the rear bumper?

What about simply bolting a 4xRac to the "face" of the rear bumper?

Is the steel thick enough to hold the weight of the Hi-Lift? Or do you think it will eventually bend or the bolts pull thru it?

-cmc-

littlered351 said:
dsc00014small6vm.jpg

mounted to the roof useing 2 pieces of 1x1 tubing 45'd on the ends to run bolts thru the factory runners on the roof, then took another piece of 1x1 welded 2 bolts on it sticking up to go thru the hi-lift, then got wing nuts to run down on the bolts.. I can get a better pic if you need one.

Holy fawking twist Batman!!!!

That would be the simplest way to mount it, I have the MOPAR Tire Carrier on the roof and the factory crossbars are pushed up in front of it. (See pic.)

-cmc-

Back