• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 parts swap compatibility

Bounty Hunter

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an '88 MJ D30 that needs some, well, quite a bit of work. I'd like to install '95 knuckles and brakes, reusing the '88 hubs. Is this possible?

I'm wanting the knuckles since they're 1piece, and the brakes are an upgrade and easier to work on. Not to mention the '88 rotors are shot and the '95 rotors are sitting around. The '88 hubs are the best set I have right now, so you can see where I'm coming from.

The knuckles are off, going to drill out the steering arms for the tierod flipkit from www.goferitoffroad.com and a YJ tierod.

Bounty Hunter said:
I've got an '88 MJ D30 that needs some, well, quite a bit of work. I'd like to install '95 knuckles and brakes, reusing the '88 hubs. Is this possible?

I'm wanting the knuckles since they're 1piece, and the brakes are an upgrade and easier to work on. Not to mention the '88 rotors are shot and the '95 rotors are sitting around. The '88 hubs are the best set I have right now, so you can see where I'm coming from.

The knuckles are off, going to drill out the steering arms for the tierod flipkit from www.goferitoffroad.com and a YJ tierod.

No you must use the 95 unit bearings also, the 88 have a different offset and the brake componats will not work...been there tried that..dont work....actually I like the older brake design much easier to work on and less problems....but then I alsow like the renix puter system too....so go figure

Bounty Hunter said:

Brake rotor/hub compatible years 84-89, 90-98/99, and 99/00-up.
Personally I don't like the idea of weaking the knuckle by drilling a 3/4" hole in it. You could just buy a taper reamer and run it through the top. I don't think the bottom will matter much once its tight.

Thanks for the help, looks like I'll be keeping the '88 knuckles and brakes then.

I'm not too worried about the 3/4" hole weakening the steering arm, it's not much larger than what's in there now.

Thanks for the help.

xjnation said:
actually I like the older brake design much easier to work on and less problems....
Why are they easier to work on and fewer problems?

From what little I've dealt with them, the pad clips seem to be a pain that isn't there on the newer brakes.

Bounty Hunter said:
Why are they easier to work on and fewer problems?

From what little I've dealt with them, the pad clips seem to be a pain that isn't there on the newer brakes.

the clips arent even needed, jsut stops em from rattling a bit, but if you just fold theclip tabs up over the arm of they stay out of the way, no fuss

MJR said:
Brake rotor/hub compatible years 84-89, 90-98/99, and 99/00-up.
Personally I don't like the idea of weaking the knuckle by drilling a 3/4" hole in it. You could just buy a taper reamer and run it through the top. I don't think the bottom will matter much once its tight.

90 is an iffy year MJR, Ive had both styles on the 90's Ive worked on , 3 out of 4 times it was the older style

xjnation said:
90 is an iffy year MJR, Ive had both styles on the 90's Ive worked on , 3 out of 4 times it was the older style

They made other changes over the years to the unit bearing (register area in the knuckle, sealing to the shaft) but its the hub/knuckle mounting surface to hub/rotor mounting surface that matters for swapping.

84-89 is 1.81" (same for YJ 87-89) part #53000228
90-98/99 is 2.12" (same for YJ 90-95, ZJ 93-98, TJ 97-98/99, and 99-04 WJ though the bolt pattern is 5 on 5" {different part #}) part #53007449AB
99/01 is 1.91" (same for TJ 99/00-current) part #5016458AA

xjnation said:
WE all know what the books say...but it is a jeep :laugh3:

I dispute alot of that crap as swapped in used parts and people not knowing how to tell what year it really is. It was more common with the AMC stuff but Chry started making changes to the XJ in 90, 91, 92. Not that the parts catalog is never wrong. :badpc:

Back