• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of differential do i have??

camarorss350

NAXJA Forum User
Im curious in findin out what kind of diff's are in my 97 4x4 xj... also how can i figure out the stock ring and pinion gear size? and what is the name for my 5spd trans? like chevy has the 700r4's and ford has the AOD's and what not, whats this mopar gearbox called? thanks alot

Front axle is (I'm almost willing to guarantee!) a Dana 35 - unless it's been changed. Gear ratio should be checked by looking for a tag under one of the cover bolts - it will be printed there. Early manuals were geared 3.07 (why?) I don't know about later offhand.

Rear axle is very likely to be a Chrysler 8.25 (with an 8.25" ring gear - I don't remember the Danas without looking them up) - which can be verified by looking at the cover. If it's got a flattish bottom, it's the ChryCo; if it's oval, it's a Dana 35. Gearing will very nearly match at both ends - unless something's been changed while you weren't looking.

There may be a traction device in the rear axle - if there is, there should be a small tag under the cover telling you to use friction modifier or LSD Lubricant only (it won't be there if you don't have it,) and you can check further by looking under the side gears for clutch packs while you've got the cover off to change fluid. If you don't have the LSD additive when you change the oil, don't drive without it for long - or you'll wreck the clutches. I'd say about long enough to go to the parts house to score a bottle (for about $5) and add a couple ounces - gear action will stir everything around...

5-90

awesome thanks, whats the most common posi/locker to throw in one of theese bad boys (cheapest of course lol)? also would 4.10's in the front and back be a dumb idea?

Yeah - thanks for that. It's been a long day - I've had to change mental gears fixing so much that I've damn near forgotten what I've doing (got a couple computers torn to bits right now... Finished the dresser, the shower, ...)

Front axle will be a Dana 30 - not RPT not a Dana 35. We all make mistrakes once in a while...

5-90 :wave:

camarorss350 said:
awesome thanks, whats the most common posi/locker to throw in one of theese bad boys (cheapest of course lol)? also would 4.10's in the front and back be a dumb idea?

This would wholy depend on your intended use and final tar size you will run.

I run 4:10 in my TJ w/ AX15 as it was a DD. I run 33" tars for the same reason. If you play in the rocks and run a 4to1 in the Tcase with a manual tranny, this is a nice combo for both on and off road. If its off road only and you will keep 33-35" tars go for the 4:88's and never look back. With a auto you can use a bit lower numerical gearing, because of the varible rate you get from the torque converter.

CW

P.S. a Lock Rite, Detroit EZ or the new Aussie Locker would be the best/cheapest method to lock either end on your rig.

ok awesome, what is the difference between a dana 30 and a 35? and would it be stupid 2" budget lift just so i can use 30" tires? im not really gonna go off road TOO much, %99 of the time im gonna be running on the road. but winters coming and im going to need a nice aggressive tire good for ice/snow while staying with my stock steelies, what do you recommend? thanks for the help, i've learned so much in the past month since i got my xj. i love the dam thing, i think im gonna stay with a jeep for the rest of my life lol... and im not tryint to get off topic, but what is a good suspenion for street use (shock's, struts, springs)? and i think im gonna go with poly bushings for the front and back sway bars, lol i know you guys think im nuts for doing that, but i really am not going to off road, and id like to be able to get the best handling i can from my XJ... i appreciate all the info/help ALOT

The 30 is typically used as a front axle (with steering knuckles and all,) and the 35 is a straight rear axle. I'm sure you could reverse them if you wanted to do a bunch of welding and grinding - but why?

There's nothing wrong with using a BB kit - if you're just looking for some room for slightly larger tyres. I've got two 89's out front at stock height with 30's, and I don't have any trouble - although I haven't had them to "full stuff" yet. My 88 is a stocker on 31's - and I only notice when I turn steering to "full lock" to the right or left.

I don't spend a lot of time off-road at the moment, but the two 89's are probably going to end up with about 2" of BB, and the 88 with 4-5" of "real" lift when I'm finally done with all of them.

5-90

Usually.

There are no struts under the XJ (thank God!) and you may or may not need new shocks. Me being me, I'd change them anyhow - you're going to be down there tearing things to bits, right? How old are the shocks anyhow? Shocks for a 3" lift should be just ducky, and should be easy to find.

You probably won't need a transfer case drop or a SYE kit - but a Wrangler slip yoke might not be a bad idea - it's got a longer "slip" which will allow for more articulation. Dropping a rear driveshaft sucks! You shouldn't have too much trouble with the TJ yoke - boneyard or aftermarket. A TJ with a D35 rear should use the same u-joints as your XJ - the D44 rear uses larger, and I think the ChryCo axles like a different joint (anyone want to correct me?)

Once you get the lift on, you should have no trouble with 30x9.5-15 or 31x10.5-15LT on stocker wheels (all my tyres are on factory wheels - just like the sets I've got around back...)

5-90

5-90 said:
There may be a traction device in the rear axle - if there is, there should be a small tag under the cover telling you to use friction modifier or LSD Lubricant only (it won't be there if you don't have it,) and you can check further by looking under the side gears for clutch packs while you've got the cover off to change fluid. If you don't have the LSD additive when you change the oil, don't drive without it for long - or you'll wreck the clutches. I'd say about long enough to go to the parts house to score a bottle (for about $5) and add a couple ounces - gear action will stir everything around...

5-90

I'm about to change gear oil as well, wondering if I have the LSD in my Chrysler 8.25" rear axle. Would this "small tag" be inside the cover, on the bottom...a little more specific since I have no idea what the side gears for clutch packs would look like. Thanks!!

There should be a small tag attached from one of the bolts on the Differential cover.....if not, look for a tag wrapped around the axle, toawrds the passenger wheel...should also say "Chrysler 8.25" or something to that effect....if the sticker hasn't worn off yet. That tag wrapped around the Axle might even say Limited Slip Differential or something to that effect....if it's not a LSD, the tag should say "Open".

Just FYI, its not a "mopar" gearbox thats in your jeep. Actally, theres only a few important Chrysler products in your Cherokee. The AX-15 is made by Aisin (as is the AW4) so its something you think would be used by toyota and came with some dodge dakotas (& toyotas IIRC). It really doesn't like gl-5 gear oil containing sulphur.

yea well times have changed and i go off-roading alot now. it seems as though once you do it, you get addicted, its like a drug lol. im in the process of getting a 6.5" lift from rusty's and some 33" thornbirds. but i have one question.... can i use 2" budget boosters with that lift kit to pull some more height? thanks

No, No, wait! Don't get thornturds. They Suck! Load up with mud, crappy in the snow and wet. Get something else. Try a Goodyear Wrangler MT/R, SuperSwamper TrXus M/T, or some kind of other off road tire made by Toyo, BfGoodrich, ect...

And although Rustys kit is cheap, you get what you pay for. There are some who swear by it though. Do some searching around, there are ALOT better kits out there, RE, RK, Tereflex, T&T, ect....

It is addicting huh?

ok well there goes everything i thought was good lol.... i might get some pro-comps or something, i guess ill look for another kit, i just thought rustys stuff was top notch.... what do you recommend for mud/dirt, im not gonna be doing any rock crawling, just mud, dirt, and sand. think i should just get a 4.5 inch and 4.10's in the front and back with 33" whatever's? and use my left over cash to get a nice bumper set?

I'd personally go for 4.56 for gears. For choice of tires and lifts, do a search to find the best. Everyone has thier opinion and experience. And everyone has thier 'top notch' company. To some its RK, Skycrapper to others, and cRusty's to an elite few. I haven't had experience with any of these companies, so ask around a little.

What I would like is the RE 5.5 coils, custom rear leafs, Kevin's track bar, someones steering, dunno on shocks yet, all with TnT long arms and armor. Chromo front and rear, locked, 4.56, SYE, ECT.... 33x12.5 SS TSL or TrXus MT. It may not be the best combo, but good enough for me, and what I want to use it for. And who knows, we all change our minds.

I use all stock baby!

I have experience with stock for now.

Back