• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory fog light question

camarorss350

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a set of hella 550's and mounted them on my 97 xj. i figured id use what i thought to be the stock wiring harness (OEM fog light werent installed on my XJ) is the connector that is i THINK a purple and green wire and a black and green wires for the stock fog lamps? i installed all the relays that i thought i would need (2 under the hood) and i installed a factory switch (wires used to go to a dummy switch). is there something im missing? it would be SOOO easy if this worked, any ideas on what i may need to do?

Okay, acording to my Haynes book, the wires that you want at the switch TO the lights is LIGHT BLUE. Switch to relay #2 is VIOLET, RELAY #2 to HIGH BEAM IND. is RD/GRY. RELAY #2 to RELAY #1 is BLK, RELAY #1 back to RELAY #2 is PINK. I hope that this helps you, instead of confusing you. Good luck and if it is still a PITA, I am sure that someone else will chime in to help. Ren
By the way the page # is 12-38, incase you need to look it up.

They could be for Driving lights, driving lights and fog lights are different.

Fog lights only work with your low beams, driving lights only work with your high beams.

Driving lights turn OFF when the high beams are turned on. They are meant, from the factory anyway, as a supplement to your low beams. You might want to contact "5-90" about rewiring the relays if you want the lights to work when-ever you turn the switch on. I just used the factory switch and the wiring that came with my KC's, and ignored the original harness, mainly because I did not have the end plugs to connect to the factory wiring, coming from the lights, because I had to replace the front bumper since the idiot I bought my truck from had wrecked it once and then threw away the old lights and bumper. Oh, well at least it still runs decently-lol.. Ren

camarorss350 said:
hmmm, the driving lights are the ones that mount on the bumper correct?
The fog lights came mounted under the bumper and were yellow and worked on low beam, the driving lights came mounted on top of the bumper and were clear and worked on high beam.

camarorss350 said:
is the switch that is next to the rear window wiper for the bumper lights?
No that's for the transmission, the aux light switch is on the dash left side between the Head lights and the rear defroster.

You guys are talking about two different things. Langer1, keep in mind that he is reffering to a 97 XJ.
The location for the 97+ fog light switch is exactly where Camarorss350 indicated.
Older XJ had the switch in a different location and also had a completely different dash layout than the 97+.
Also, the last year of the trans switch option you reffered too was 1990.
There were no OEM top mounted bumper lights on the 97+ XJ. They were all mounted below within the outer bumper endcaps.

camarorss350 said:
I just bought a set of hella 550's and mounted them on my 97 xj. i figured id use what i thought to be the stock wiring harness (OEM fog light werent installed on my XJ) is the connector that is i THINK a purple and green wire and a black and green wires for the stock fog lamps? i installed all the relays that i thought i would need (2 under the hood) and i installed a factory switch (wires used to go to a dummy switch). is there something im missing? it would be SOOO easy if this worked, any ideas on what i may need to do?
If your 97+ XJ did not come with the foglights installed from the factory, the required wiring is NOT in place. You will need to either add the factory wiring harness OR just use the wiring that came with your Hella's.
There is a set 'dummy' wires and pigtail for the fog lights behind the switch panel blank but it is not hooked up to anything. Even if you add the factory fog light harness, this dummy connector will not be used.
The wires behind the front bumper you tried to use for your Hella's are for the temperature sensor for the optional overhead console display.

Last edited:
impressive JEEPZZ, you really know your XJ's, thank you very much for the information, now i have one more for ya, i lost the installation instructions taht came with the lamps, can ya give me a run down on where each wire goes, i know that the lamps both require a pos and neg of course, but the relay is the main thing that confuses me, there are for prongs, im guessing it goes inline with the wiring (Ex. pos from light to relay, relay to switch?) is it that easy? also can i use the stock switch for the lamps? it would be very nice if i could

The normal coding for a relay= 30-battery "+", no bigger than 30 amp fuse, 10gauge wire, 85-chassis ground, 16 gauge wire, 86-lead from switch, 16 gauge wire, 87-goes to load(lights, aux fan, etc..), 10 gauge wire. Enjoy, Ren

Hey REN that number coding is really useful, I used to track each line everytime I had to do anything with those relays, I'm sure printing it out.

JEEPZZ: I have a 91 XJ and it has the power switch for the trans, you have made me wonder if my year is correct my serial Nº 1J4FJ58S5ML514502 maybe someone can tell me if I'm wrong i my year model.

thanks

SACEM1

sacem said:
Hey REN that number coding is really useful, I used to track each line everytime I had to do anything with those relays, I'm sure printing it out.

JEEPZZ: I have a 91 XJ and it has the power switch for the trans, you have made me wonder if my year is correct my serial Nº 1J4FJ58S5ML514502 maybe someone can tell me if I'm wrong i my year model.

thanks

SACEM1
[font=Courier New, Courier, mono]VIN: [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]1J4FJ58S5ML514502 [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]Year/Make/Model: [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]1991 JEEP CHEROKEE LAREDO [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]Body Style: [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]4 DR. WAGON/SPORT UTILITY [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]Engine Type: [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]4.0L L6 HO MPI [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]Manufactured In: [/font][font=Courier New, Courier, mono]UNITED STATES [/font]

sacem said:

thanks

SACEM1
Is your 91 Renix??? :dunno: Didn't Jeep phase all that out with the '90 model year in favor of the new high output 4.0L for 1991?

>>>I also thought that your South Am. XJ (Peru) was built at the Venezuela plant, not in the U.S. >>>Strange stuff.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell from messing with it, the Comfort setting makes it shift easy and smooth so that you accelerate like the old folks driving on sunday. The POWER setting is the program that they started using whenever the factory quit using the switch. All it really does is alter the shift points and firmness, which is what the later XJ's use. At least my '98 did until I wrecked it. It would shift a lot firmer than the older XJ's, if the older ones were put on "comfort". I usually left it on POWER. I recall also reading somewhere about the factory deleteing the comfort program, and using only the power program. I think it was at the library.

Back