• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird problemss,like it been possess

goin4wheelin

NAXJA Forum User
here's the deal, yesterday i been using the winch to pull down some trees and been pulling some trees stump. kind of heavy used on the winch since it took about 0.30hrs of uses on the winch while the jeep's running.
after the work i drove the jeep around and it work great.

this morning while i try to drive the jeep, she act weird. the jeep seem to be start up fine but when i try to roll my window(power windows), it wont work. the gauge on the temp stay on the red line(all the way to the right), brake light's on although i dont have any emergency brake. i ignore it and drove for 5 minutes and hit a bumop, i got the "shakes" , it's the DW and after the bumo, everything turn to normal.

well, since then, i drove hte jeep to town, 30minutes, i notice the gauges on the temp go between 20-60( i think) and i think that's normal but when i look on the voltermeter, it go from up and down, 9-12, then stay from 12 aqnd uo to around 13 and go back down to 12 and so on. well, on driving, it run up andf down the gauges on teh temp and the voltmeter.

i stop at autozone for them to test the alternator and the battery and the guy tolds me my battery's good, alternator's good( i doubt it) but my amp's only at 1.1?????

is my alternator get toast after the heavy used on the winch??

pls help and thank in advance for all the input and opinion.

p/s: english's my second laungages and hope u understand my problems.

spec;
88XJ Laredo(power loaded)w/ 4.0L 205k miles(rebuilt on 199k bored .03 on block)stock aw4, stock np242, optima red top battery, autozone oem alternator and starter.

I'd start by examining your battery connections -- Especially, if you "share" them with the winch ...

Additionally, look at the ground wires - the '88's electrical system didn't providea body ground, and if you had an issue with your winch ground it's likely that youve over-taxed one of the remaining grounds -- look first to the ground strap from the engine to the firewall (off of the valvecover's back bolt to the fire wall) , then assess the grounds on the passenger's side of the block (sensor grounds) --

Look at the ground connection from your battery to the starter area (block ground) addin another wire to the Alternator mount isn't a bad thought, also adding a wire from the battery negative to the inner fender will help some --

You may be chasing this for a little bit - but it does sound similar to a roasted ground - if you start at the battery (LOAD TEST IT) and work your way out verifying each connection and wire you should be able tomake short work of it.

hey satan, thanks for the input.

well, got it fixed, it's the alternator!!!!! F@*& !!!
that's the 6 alternator i went thru in 5 years...anyone break my records ??? and 5 TPS in 4 years... DOes that mean I got some loose/short goin on in the jeep????

if i got no power on the power windows and lock, where 's the fuses or relay at?

what's the alternative alternator beside the mean green??

I would still check all the grounds, especially to the alternator; go ahead and add a dedicated ground between alternator and body, and make sure battery-to-body ground is GREAT.

An alternator can roast itself, trying to push current to a battery that it thinks is very low, when the real problem is a bad connection that can't pass enough current.

Fuse for power accessories is in the fuse box, I don't think there's a 'hidden' fuse (unless the previous owner installed one for some reason).
BUT, both p/w and p/s are very touchy about grounds. After verifying good fuse, make sure you have good bat-to-body ground.

What battery are you running? For that much winching, even with the engine running, you need something with awesome draw-down power. Optima Yellow would be the optimum IMO.

Back