• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Klune V underdrive

KarmirXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well Heres where Im at, I just received my D300 flip kit and im about to install it. I want lower gears! LOMAX 4:1 / AA clocking ring / Klune V are all being tossed up in the air. I called Advance adpters today and they quoted me $1725.00 for the Klune. I have a I-6/Aw4 combo. I was also thinking of going with lomax 4:1 and and the clocking ring which would cost me about 1,000 dollars, But If I go with a klune, I cought get more gear options and since I still do not have a rear shaft. I thougt I should by this and get the right length shaft the first time, no use spending money and getting a second shaft. What you guys think?

Whats the cheapest place I can get a klune, Ive heard people get it for about 1600.00 shipped.

(im going to mate it to this...)

Is that rear axle a 44? If you do the Klune, w. the low gearing you're going to get, a D60 might serve you better. There's going to be alot of torgue on those axles, especially when turning your 37 inch tires. Better get the Warn shafts/CTM's for the front also if you don't already. I'd also do the 1350 yokes.

I think that *should* be OK. Chances are you'll only be in compound low occasionally. The compound low is going to be so low you'll barely move, so I'm assuming most the time you'd be using the 300 or the Klune independently. And if you're not too heavy with the foot.....even if you use the pedal you'll barely increase your speed anyway, so I'd lay off the pedal and just let it idle along. You're really going to have to behave yourself!! I think ultimately you'll want a bigger rear axle though. Plus you really need to think about the brakes, because you'll never stop it in compound low, even in 4 to 1 it will be tough with the AW-4. You'll have to put in nuetral when you need to stop. And you'll want to set your AW-4 up so you can drop it into 1st and it will stay there, otherwise, with the gearing, it will upshift very quickly into second. There are some good web articles on how to do this, is quite a no-brainer, just do a search. It's been discussed on this forum many times too. Good luck. The projects never end!! :)

think that *should* be OK. Chances are you'll only be in compound low occasionally. The compound low is going to be so low you'll barely move, so I'm assuming most the time you'd be using the 300 or the Klune independently. And if you're not too heavy with the foot.....even if you use the pedal you'll barely increase your speed anyway, so I'd lay off the pedal and just let it idle along. You're really going to have to behave yourself!! I think ultimately you'll want a bigger rear axle though. Plus you really need to think about the brakes, because you'll never stop it in compound low, even in 4 to 1 it will be tough with the AW-4. You'll have to put in nuetral when you need to stop. And you'll want to set your AW-4 up so you can drop it into 1st and it will stay there, otherwise, with the gearing, it will upshift very quickly into second. There are some good web articles on how to do this, is quite a no-brainer, just do a search. It's been discussed on this forum many times too. Good luck. The projects never end!!

So how long have you had a KLune in your XJ, you sound like you talk from personal experience?

The braking is not as bad as people say..Ive been with a guy running a klune and 33"s on his xj.....with 4.88's and never had a problem.....as you noted even if the trans shifts...it will only pick up your speed 1/2 mph if that....I have a KLUNE sitting in garage awaiting my MJ

Back