• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hommade snorkel for carbed engine

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to piece together a snorkel from Lowes parts this weekend. I have a 2.5L carbed fourbanger. I'll be leaving my ring-style filter in place and branching off the intake spout with some flexy tube and eventually exiting the engine compartment through the drives side front fender and routing PVC up to the top-corner of the window. Anyone do this yet? Any advice?

For what you are going to try I would try to fab up something that is made of metal to bolt to the carb and has the bend in it to go towards the driver side panel like you would like to do.

What I did for mine is kept the stock air filter system and sealed it up the best I could around the carb and intake for the filter system. I used the original hose that came with the air cleaner and routed it up to the master cylinder area. I sealed up the hose where it connects with filter system with ALOT of duct tape.

I routed it to this area because it is the last place water will go if you are still moving forward. It worked great for me and I was going through water that was well over three feet. Granted that if I were to get stuck in water that deep that setup would not work. Thankfully the water crossings I took were pretty much hard bottom and just made a wave in front of me to avoid having to much water in the enging bay. Any different kindof water crossing I would put on an actual snorkel first.

So, if you don't come across alot of water crossings, I would try it my way if you like or start fabbing up something in the lines of what you were trying.

Kim.

Back