• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can a distributor squeak?

Atl XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know this probably sounds like an odd question but starting yesterday my XJ has started making an odd squeaking sound at idle and it really sounds like its coming from the distributor. Once it warms up it goes away, its pretty loud till it goes away though. It runs fine, all the gauges read how they should, and I checked all the fluids and everything is fine. I pulled the distributor cap and the rotor and everything looks fine, just slightly worn but not bad at all. I've never heard anything like this, it almost sounds like a bad bearing or something but its not that high pitched. I really cant describe the sound it makes very well at all or I'd try. It kinda sounds the way I've sometimes heard water pumps, alternators, etc make when they are going out.
If anyone can help me out that would be great, I'm stumped. Also, is there anything else around that area that could make a sound like that--keep in mind it goes away after it warms up.
TIA

Edit: 95 XJ 4.0l/AW4

Last edited:
sometimes the contact point between the dist cap and rotor will squeak. Just put some dielectric grease on the rotor where it contacts the coil terminal inside the dist cap.

Yes, I have four or five that I kept for spares that made a high pitched squeak from just under the cam sensor. The bushing gets tight and in some cases you will have a hard time turning the dist. shaft with it out of the engine. I have actually seen them sieze and take the teeth of the dist. gear. The funny thing is that after sitting out of the engine for a while, they seem to loosen up. I have taken some apart that couldn't be turned by hand, and polished the shaft with light emery cloth. You could see galling on the shaft at the top bushing. Cleaned them up after polishing and lube with some light grease and they're fine. Mine in my TJ actually started squeaking for a little while several years ago. It went away before I had a chance to pull it and hasn't come back since.

Squeak?? Heck mine howled!! I guess the bearing was going out as every time I started it the distributor would howl. I checked it using a dowel and the bearing was shot. I got a new(not remanufactured) distributor for 52.00, what a deal!!

I pulled the old dist. out and you could barely rotate the shaft with your fingers, had to grab the gear with a pair of pliers to rotate it quickly.

I tossed the new dist. in and no more howls and I have also cured a hesitation on acceleration too.

Oops. just read explorers post and maybe my trouble was with a bushing and not a bearing, either one the new dist. works great

Ditto the bad bushing in the dizzy making noise. Mine had same symptoms, noisy on cold start, quiet once warm. I was able to feel a "buzzing" that occured at the same time as each "squeak" at idle by putting my finger on top of the dist cap. When I pulled the dizzy, the shaft had a fair amount of play (compared to the new one I bought).

Thanks for the input everyone. I didnt know it was so common, I've never heard of this before. I'm a lot more familiar with GM stuff though.

Where's a good source for a distributor? I called the dealer and they wanted $240 for one. Thats a little high so I was wondering what kind you guys used and and what it ran you. Also, how is it lasting? I could probably suck it up and get an OEM one if need be but money is tight right now so I dont want to if I don't have to.

Not to dispute anyone else, but the idler pully is pretty close to there. Check that for play before you pull the distributor. They squeal like a banshee too.

Thats a valid suggestion and worth noting but it isnt from there. Its definitely from the distributor. You can even feel it, like others said, when you put your fingers on the distributor cap.

If you can pull the dist. yourself and replace it, you can probably fix it yourself. The drive gear on the bottom is retained with a roll pin. Once that is off, you can remove the shaft from the hsg. and clean and lube it, polish it if its too tight.

My distributor 89 xj has made a loud growling sound several times and each time I pulled it out and found the shaft all gummed up and the metal scored. I sanded it smooth and oiled it up (micky moused it home) and it semms to last about six months before I have to rework it. This post reminded me that I need to go buy a new one myself...Thanks

BTT

Is the Napa rebuilt distributor a decent unit? I can't find a new one anywhere other than the dealer and its $240. The Napa rebuilt one is $62. Is it decent quality? I'm leary of buying rebuilt parts based on my experience with rebuilt parts from Autozone.
TIA :D

How hard is it to change the distributor out on a 4.0l? Its usually pretty straight forward, but I havent ever tried it on a Jeep. The reason I ask is I'm trying to decide if its a simple job I can do in my parking spot, or if I should drive the 45 minutes to my parents' house where I have a three car garage to work in and all the tools I could possibly need.

Atl XJ said:
BTT

Is the Napa rebuilt distributor a decent unit? I can't find a new one anywhere other than the dealer and its $240. The Napa rebuilt one is $62. Is it decent quality? I'm leary of buying rebuilt parts based on my experience with rebuilt parts from Autozone.
TIA :D
Napa's good. You should not try it in the parking lot at Napa though.

langer1 said:
Napa's good. You should not try it in the parking lot at Napa though.

Lol, I'd never do that. I meant my assigned parking spot in my parking garage. I've seen people do that before, thats so WT. I'd only do that if I was stranded out of town or something. I

So I went with the rebuilt unit from Napa. It was only $62 but it had an $82 core charge. The install was pretty easy and uneventful. It only goes in one way and there is no adjustment for timing. The only PITA part was getting the bolt that holds it on there on and off. Its kinda hard to get to. My old distributor must have been making more noise than I realized cause my engine is QUIET now-- other than some piston slap at idle till it warms up.

Back