• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WHAT ATF FLUID!!! What the guys at Kragan are telling me.

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
Ok well i read on here that im supposed to use Dextron/Mecron III... The guy at Kragan SAYS "you only use that to top it off. If you doing a full flush you want to use Dextron +3" THEN he looked in the computer and the computer says that Crysler recommends that i use Dextron +4 WTF! Transmission are expensive and i dont want to have to buy another one just because i used the wrong tranny fluid. Honestly what do you guys think i should get? Stick w/ the Dextron/Mercon III, the Dextron +3 or the Dextron +4...

Im 99% sure the tranny is an AW4... Is AW4 the model number?

BTW the Jeep is a 2000 Cherokee XJ, 4.0 I6, 4x4 w/ a NP231 T-case.

fdsa487 said:
Ok well i read on here that im supposed to use Dextron/Mecron III...

that is correct at least for the ealier ones...i can't see why'd they change it..

Im 99% sure the tranny is an AW4... Is AW4 the model number?

yes it is.

BTW the Jeep is a 2000 Cherokee XJ, 4.0 I6, 4x4 w/ a NP231 T-case.

Ok well im going to go w/ the Dex III... That will make me happy... Question...!!! When i drop the tranny pan to change the fluid filter im sure there is a gasket. Is it a gasket like on a differential like RTV or when i buy the filter will it come w/ a new gasket? Rubber? Cork? What will it be and do i have to use RTV as well as the Gasket? Answers, pictures... re: tranny anything :)

fdsa487 said:
Ok well im going to go w/ the Dex III... That will make me happy... Question...!!! When i drop the tranny pan to change the fluid filter im sure there is a gasket. Is it a gasket like on a differential like RTV or when i buy the filter will it come w/ a new gasket? Rubber? Cork? What will it be and do i have to use RTV as well as the Gasket? Answers, pictures... re: tranny anything :)

word on the street says its a metal screen not really a filter. Clean it out well...not sure on the gasket.

Yep - it's a strainer. The gasket is usually cork, and can be installed dry. You'll probably have a bit of a fight with the forward pan bolts, they're half hidden by the crossmember.

I think I pull my pan every third change - I drain the fluid over a magnet to make sure. The most I've had to do with the thing is clean it. It's mainly there to keep the pump from picking up destroyed parts - if you want a true "micron" filter, you'll have to add a spin-on inline.

Oh - DO NOT listen to the droids at Kragen's! I wasted three years or so there, and if you can find one decent parts guy in a district, you've had a minor miracle! I tell people over and over again - don't go to the big "chain" stores for parts and advice - the parts usually suck, and the advice isn't worth what you didn't pay for it. I buy fluids at Kragen's or wherever (for the pricing) and get my parts at a "short chain" down the street - I think he's got a total of four stores. He's also got competent staff, since he's willing to pay to keep them. Kragen's does not.

Oh - if you get really confused, ask here before you buy anything. You'll probably save a few bucks...

5-90

No offence, but that will cure of you shopping at Krapgen. Look on line for parts then compare what say Napa, autistic zone etc says, then compare consistency of reccomendations.

5-90 said:
Yep - it's a strainer. The gasket is usually cork, and can be installed dry. You'll probably have a bit of a fight with the forward pan bolts, they're half hidden by the crossmember.

I think I pull my pan every third change - I drain the fluid over a magnet to make sure. The most I've had to do with the thing is clean it. It's mainly there to keep the pump from picking up destroyed parts - if you want a true "micron" filter, you'll have to add a spin-on inline.

Oh - DO NOT listen to the droids at Kragen's! I wasted three years or so there, and if you can find one decent parts guy in a district, you've had a minor miracle! I tell people over and over again - don't go to the big "chain" stores for parts and advice - the parts usually suck, and the advice isn't worth what you didn't pay for it. I buy fluids at Kragen's or wherever (for the pricing) and get my parts at a "short chain" down the street - I think he's got a total of four stores. He's also got competent staff, since he's willing to pay to keep them. Kragen's does not.

Oh - if you get really confused, ask here before you buy anything. You'll probably save a few bucks...

5-90

Thanks for the valuable advice... Question is can i buy a gasket by itself or do i have to purchase the whole kit w/ filter (which according to you my trans does not even take).

Well...

The kit will come with a new clean strainer. For the gasket only, you want Fel-Pro #TOS 18685 (or eq.) I'm sure everyone's got a number, I just only have a Fel-Pro catalogue handy.

It is possible to use RTV to reseal the pan, but I don't like to do it. If you use RTV, be careful when torqing - or you'll "squidge out all the goop" (technical language) and you'll have to do it all over again soon...

5-90

5-90 said:
Well...

The kit will come with a new clean strainer. For the gasket only, you want Fel-Pro #TOS 18685 (or eq.) I'm sure everyone's got a number, I just only have a Fel-Pro catalogue handy.

It is possible to use RTV to reseal the pan, but I don't like to do it. If you use RTV, be careful when torqing - or you'll "squidge out all the goop" (technical language) and you'll have to do it all over again soon...

5-90

Ok so the kit the guy at Kragan sold me is probaby the correct thing for the trans... New "strainer" and a gasket. Its made of cork. I can use this and be happy??? Like this? :)

Sure - I use cork gaskets all the time! I prefer them, but I'm old...

Cork gaskets are just fine as long as they are kept "wet" - drive 10-15 minutes twice a month is usually enough to do that. Otherwise, they dry out and shrink. This can also happen with rubber gaskets - but it happens a little faster with cork.

Plus? Cork seems to be more forgiving of sealing surface textures than rubber, and bonds with RTV better (when the use of RTV is indicated.)

5-90

It was probably operator error on my part but when I reinstalled mine with the work gasket it leaked like hell. I went to Napa since it was right around the corner and they had a rubber (Im not sure exactly what its made of) gasket that they recommended. I scraped all the cork shit off and used the rubber one. Its been two years now and it hasnt leaked a drop. it was much easier to use too.

fdsa487 said:
WTF Damnit i hate kragan!!! They sold me a tranny filter... LIke 30 something dollars! Is there really only a screen?
with all due respect...why would you trust Kragen?
they are idiots from the same league as Pep Boys
You might as well go to Jiffy Lube and get your tranny flushed
If you want answers and correct parts go to the Dealer or ask here first...not after you bought it

sbxj said:
with all due respect...why would you trust Kragen?
they are idiots from the same league as Pep Boys
You might as well go to Jiffy Lube and get your tranny flushed
If you want answers and correct parts go to the Dealer or ask here first...not after you bought it

I dont know im just assming for a place to stay in business they have to have SOME good advice.

Whatever i think that part that i got is correct... the gasket looks like its the right one but the other part that came with the "filter and gasket kit" looks more like a flat filter than a strainer but im just going to have to drop the pan and look for myself. I changed the tranny fluid and filter on a 99' Ford Ranger but that way years ago and i dont remember what the filter looked like but i think it was flat like this one is... Hold on i'll post a picture of it in a minute... Beer.

This is one side of the strainer (i think if its the right part)

P8190135.jpg

This is the other side

P8190134.jpg

I took this picture too its the ATF Dextron III Valvoline... let me know if you guys approve of this for my AW4 install tomorrow... oh yeah and im installing the Tranny cooler you see pictured as well allong w/ front and rear diff guards... should i do an install thread for the tranny cooler or has that been done enough?

P8190136.jpg

Have you taken the tranny pan off yet?

If not, I recommend that you not bother. The pan is easy, except that the tranny dipstick/filler tube is in two pieces, the lower half of which is an integral part of the pan. The upper half is pressed in with an O-ring gasket, which gets hard and makes it almost impossible to take apart. So you'll probably trash the upper dipstick tube, and on Sunday afternoon you'll be looking for a new tube and gasket, which are dealer only parts.

I did an AW-4 that had 165,000 miles on it and had never been done before (by sheer concidence the previous owner had it serviced at my dealership and they checked the records for me). The old screen looked brand new. I wasted a lot of time and aggravation dropping the pan.

As to fluid -- Dex is Dex, they just keep revising the number. As long as you're using Dexron and not ATF-3 (or ATF-4) you'll be fine.

Back