• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

14 Bolt Rear... Will it work?

cco175ranger

NAXJA Forum User
I have just recently come across a complete axle out of an late 80s Fullsize Dodge pickup. I was told no noises or issues were had with the axle and could have it for nearly nothing (Mainly just pull it myself and get rid of the rest of the truck). I am not totally sure what the gearing is on it but I counted the diff cover and it had 14 bolts on it making me believe its a 14 bolt rear. The axles have a 8 lug pattern on them also. My question is can I anyway or has anybody installed/modified a 14 bolt axle to fit in the rear of their XJ? I have a 95 XJ and looking to upgrade the rear axle and before I spend hundreds on a 8.8 or Dana 44 can I spend close to the same on an axle that would probably be almost bullet proof?

You know what your right it is on a GM/Chevy truck. I was looking at the truck in total darkness tonite with a mini-mag light and wasn't really paying attention to the make of the truck. My goal is to be a daily driver with 33's or 35's for now but eventually have 37's or larger and be mainly a trail rig.

Currently I have 6.5" of lift on 33's with the weak Dana30/35 combo. I just don't wanna have to go through 3 rear axles, but if I have to I guess I will.

as long as you want it to be a DD, keep it on 33s, get 297x/760x joints/shafts up front and a D44, 8.8, 9", Toy8", 29spline 8.25, etc for the rear.

when you're ready to change it to a trail rig, get new front and rear axles. depending which rear axle you do first, you may be able to leave it or just give it some small upgrades.

K maybe I'll still yank the 14 bolt and hold onto it for the future. As for now I have found the Ford Explorer 8.8 axles with 4.10's in junkyards ranging from 250-500 ish. I have also found a BRAND NEW (Not refurbished) ford 8.8 with 4.10s and a trac-lok ready for bolt in for 750 bucks. Which is worth it considering time and mods I would do getting one from a junkyard hoping there is no mechanical issues with them?

I wouldn't run a 14b on a tire smaller than at least 38.. prefferable 42s. The Diff is huge and with 33s it will be very close to the ground. Not to metntion it is severe overkill for that size tire.

Like mentioned find a 29sp chrysler or what I am doing is putting in a D44 from an IH scout. Using 1.25" spacers/bolt pattern adapters and slap it in. These axles can be found cheap and lots have 4.10s in them already (gave $75 for mine)

bluebeast said:
If you want to go big use it. Parts are expensive for 70s though. Isn't a D80 a dual wheel axel? Not sure

take out that inner hub/mounting plate and voila its a regular axle.

or run a cherokee dually...

new_60_57_full253.jpg

new314.jpg

modules.php

Back