• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

big big problem

AD-8

NAXJA Forum User
ok soo i went wheeling today, i took a couple friends with me. We come to this big hole, and they all tell me to go thru it. Soo i put my jeep in 4 hi and start goingi went thru it but right as i was coming out the jeep just shuts off. Soo everyone gets out and we see oil in the water, soo im thinking,"wow this isnt good". Soo i go and look under the front of the jeep and this is what i saw...
oilpan.jpg

I dont know exactly what can flying thru my oil pan, can sumone tell me what couldve happened and if its time to start savin for a new motor, or maybe sum advise.

how did this happen...i wasnt over revving it. Is it just from wear and tear?...my motor does have 187,000 miles on it.

Rebuild yes, if no significant internal damage was done. Oil pan is definately shot. Hey, it might be a good time to bore & stroke it! Pick up a used motor from a junk yard.

You won't be able to tell if it is rebuildable until it is totally torn down. Odds are it is hosed.

A stroker requires a good block. Yours is most likely shot. Do a search on strokers or go over to yahoo's groups and hit the stroker group.

AD-8 said:
We come to this big hole, and they all tell me to go thru it. Soo i put my jeep in 4 hi and start goingi went thru it but right as i was coming out the jeep just shuts off. Soo everyone gets out and we see oil in the water...

can sumone tell me what couldve happened and if its time to start savin for a new motor, or maybe sum advise.
My advice? Learn to spell and stop letting your friends tell you how to drive your vehicle. You very likely sucked in some amount of water when tearing through that hole and you just found out the hard way that water isn't intended inside the 4.0L engine. It doesn't compress as well as an air-fuel mixture, and when it does fire, the volume of steam created per unit volume of water is far more than the air-fuel mixture can provide. This probably helped fling your rod through the oilpan.

Back