• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cps?

Professor Bobo

NAXJA Forum User
A few months ago one of my XJ's ('94 2.5L) just quit while on the road. It hasn't started since. It's getting Fuel, but no spark. Coil is good. I've had CPS's go bad in the past but eventually they would start back up. Just want to check before I go rolling around under it.... Gotta kill all the bees too! :O

If it's FI and you're getting fuel, it's probably not the CPS. The CPS generates a baseline timing signal for both the ignition and fuel injection - if you'd lost the CPS, you wouldn't get anything out of either.

Go through your ignition system bit-by-bit. Keep the CPS - you'll need a spare later anyhow...

5-90

Yes 30 or 40psi with key on.

Ah - that's different.

Pick up a "noid" light (they're about five or six bucks) and check for FI pulses anyhow - if you're getting them, you're addressing the wrong problem. If you aren't, change the CPS.

Given the cost of noid lights (as above) and the ease of operation (plug light into harness connector and crank engine while key on and watching) there's no reason for anyone not to have one. They're easy to find, easy to use, cheap, and help prevent misdiagnoses!

5-90

Back