• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OE electric fan problem

U

user name

I tried a search but came up with nada...

My wife has a 2000 cherokee sport 4.0...

She came home complaining the entire suv was shaking, so I pop the hood, let it run, notice it vibrates like a SOB when the electric fan kicks on, I took the fan out, it spins freely, nothing is on it to cause an imbalance, nothing broken, fan is tightly affixed to the motor shaft... is this common?

It sounds like the fan is at the end of the shaft or the shaft is coming out of the motor...if as a kid, anyone ever took a home box fan, pulled the blade to the end of the shaft and turned it on, then you'd know what I am talking about...:)

Anyone know the years that use the same elec. auxillary fan?

thanks

Last edited:
Hmmm, thats a good question, being the wifes vehicle I am not sure if it does it without the a/c on or not. I am 90% sure the a/c was off when I checked it, I do recall turning the a/c on in hopes of getting the electric fan to start, in order to check, not sure if I left it on, I will double check and reply.

Thanks

I really doubt the e-fan has enough power to shake the entire vehicle. I'm sure it is somehow related to your A/C which sucks, lot more expensive than just the fan.

Well, I took it for a drive, then let it idle a/c full blast, no vibration, I also noticed the e-fan never came on, I let it idle forever, the temp stayed just under 210. I am guessing its the fan, now if one of you electric gurus can tell me which wire is the positive and which is the negative, I will manually run the e-fan and see what happens. :) The e-fan shoulda come on with the a/c right or is there something different with the jeeps?

I recently started noticing a strange whining/vibe coming from the engine compartment. Upon further investigation, I noticed it only happens when the compressor is on. Kinda sounds like the mechanical fan when the clutch engages, but since I don't have a mech fan or the factory electric fan I guess I found my problem. Bummer.

K

user name said:
Well, I took it for a drive, then let it idle a/c full blast, no vibration, I also noticed the e-fan never came on, I let it idle forever, the temp stayed just under 210. I am guessing its the fan, now if one of you electric gurus can tell me which wire is the positive and which is the negative, I will manually run the e-fan and see what happens. :) The e-fan shoulda come on with the a/c right or is there something different with the jeeps?
The fan should come on whenever the compressor clutch is engaged. Was it working before you checked the fan? If not, than that would eliminate that as the cause of the vibes/noise.

K

Well, the last time I checked the vibration out, I popped the hood and the electric fan kicked on and off, the vibration only occured when the fan came on, I am pretty sure that is it. I will wire that bad boy up today and see what happens...

An off balanced electric fan is able to make your jeep vibrate. When I broke some blades off my FAL, the damn jeep was like a magic fingers bed. I was lucky this happened 1/2 block away from my driveway, so I pulled in and popped the hood to see what was going on and the fan was flexing the mounts and bouncing off the radiator support and fan pulley like a basketball.

fal3.jpg

With the Jeep at IDLE, turn on your head lights and step on the parking brakes ( All in PARK ). Also turn on the heater to full. If the engine starts vibrating, you have an alternator problem. With low voltage going to the engine at idle, the engine will shake. The problem would be invisible while driving since the alternator would be spinning faster.

Well folks, I hooked the e-fan directly to the battery and she vibrated.

No broken fan blades, no irregular movement of the fan blades under operation.

The housing is as tight as can be, nothing is loose.

Weird huh?

Which years used the same e-fan as the 2000 cherokee 4.0?

thanks

The fan itself could be somewhat internally shorted, but your vibs are really caused by too low voltage going to the engine ignition coil. Just try what I asked you to do earlier.

Calata said:
The fan itself could be somewhat internally shorted, but your vibs are really caused by too low voltage going to the engine ignition coil. Just try what I asked you to do earlier.

Hmmm..I think you've lost me. The engine was off, I connected the e-fan directly to the battery (full battery power), she vibrated like crazy while operating. I did try your method, everything on high, lights, heater, idle, no vibration...also no fan running. :)

Last edited:
user name said:
She came home complaining the ENTIRE suv was shaking, so I pop the hood, let it run, notice IT vibrates like a SOB when the electric fan kicks on, I took the fan out, it spins freely, nothing is on it to cause an imbalance, nothing broken, fan is tightly affixed to the motor shaft... is this common?

My original statement was based on the above post. Up to your last post, no where did you ever mention that your engine was off. By "She" I was under the understanding that you meant the JEEP not the fan itself.

I appoligize for the confusion.

user name said:
Well folks, I hooked the e-fan directly to the battery and she vibrated.

Thats cool, figured it would be a given that if I connect it to the battery, there'd be no reason to start the vehicle to test the e-fan....now to replace this sucker....

appreciate it.

For future references, you don't have to connect the fan to the battery directly. With a warm/hot engine, just have the key in the "run" position and install a metal paper clip or jumper wire thru the back end of the temp sensor on top of the water pump. Unless you have an electrical problem, the fan will go on.

Note: If you take the connector off and then jump out the connector, the check engine light will come on. By doing it the way I posted above, the light will not come on.

Cool, I got lucky then, I just ran two wires to the connector, otherwise, I may have been scratching my head wondering why the check engine light came on...:)...will remember that for future reference.

Back