• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a Seal Part Number - Urgent

rstarch345

NAXJA Forum User
I have a PORC NP231 SYE. Due to a dump mistake on my part the output shaft (where the new yoke is attached) seal is leaking severly. I need to replace the seal now. I've contacted PORC and they want me to order it from them. Which means I'll get it next week.

I appreciate the fact that PORC wants to make a buck, but I need this now. It's also my DD and I jammed some jute packing into the seal area to keep the leak down to a pint for every 10 miles.

Yes, I could tear the seal out and hopefully not damage it too much and hopefully find the number on the seal. As many know, going in with a part number, or a partial one, to Autozone or Pep Boys or Advanced in the evening usually nets nothing. I need a number to go to an Auto Parts store that can find things by part number.

I'd appreciate any help.

Last edited:
If you can find a part number, I've got a Tomken interchange guide around here (some-damn-where...) I might be able to help you.

I take it it's not the stock seal anymore - or anything close to it?

Oh - the PORC # probably won't do any good - I'd need the manufacturer's number...

5-90

I might be able check w/ NAPA tomorrow. We lookup parts by part number and can cross reference different brands (if its a sorta common part). What year XJ, what model t case? I assume its an output shaft seal, it its not stock NAPAs can generally break out the paper catalogues if you need to look up a seal based on its dimensions. Napas are not company owned so they vary in what selection and services are offered.

bajacalal said:
I might be able check w/ NAPA tomorrow. We lookup parts by part number and can cross reference different brands (if its a sorta common part). What year XJ, what model t case? I assume its an output shaft seal, it its not stock NAPAs can generally break out the paper catalogues if you need to look up a seal based on its dimensions. Napas are not company owned so they vary in what selection and services are offered.

Thanks, but as I stated, the seal is for a PORC NP231 SYE. Their PN PORC52231. This won't help you look it up nor will my vehicle specs. By the way, it's a 2K.

What I need is someone who has the PORC SYE and has gotten the seal number.

Again, thanks for your offer but unless you have a magic wand? ? ?

Is the part you need in the small parts bag??

I have a complete extra small parts bag from my PORC SYE (long story). Is it the star-shaped washer that you need?

yotaparts said:
Any good parts store should be able to take measurements and use the book to find what you need. I highly doubt PORC uses a seal specifically manufactured for them

Guys, please. Read my post. I don't want to take this out at 7:00 at night only to find I damaged it worse than it is and the parts guys either don't have it or can't figure out how to read or cross the number. Not unless you want to stop by in the morning and haul my ass off to work. I don't know of any parts guys that are going to crawl under my rigt with calipers and attempt to get measurements from a hot transfer case.

Thank you for trying.

xjohnnyc said:
Is the part you need in the small parts bag??

I have a complete extra small parts bag from my PORC SYE (long story). Is it the star-shaped washer that you need?

xjohnnyc, I need the output shaft SEAL which came in the parts bag with the greenish speedo adapter and clips.

Even if you have it, I need it tomorrow or Saturday at the latest. I just ain't gonna be in the country come Sunday and the better half needs to keep going for groceries.

I'm looking at the parts bag right now. There's a blue (not green) speedo adapter and three clips. There's a yoke nut and what looks like a little filler plug. Then there are two black rubber washers/seals that have like teeth around the circumference.

Let me know. I work for FedEx...

xjohnnyc.

The seal is about 2 1/2" in diameter with a metal ring. One side rolled. The inner part is rubber with an opening about 1 1/2". It's maybe 1/4" or 3/8" in thickness.

It looks something like this.

202181.jpg

Sorry...not in the parts bag. I actually had 3 PORC parts bags, and that seal was not in any of them. Must've already been installed in the new housing.

Good luck...

Bringing this back from the dead...did anyone find the part number / intechange part for this seal? I got mine back on the road last week and sure enough it's leaking out of the tailhousing seal...

This must be a real problem with these SYE kits,both the PORC and Collins Bros. kits must come from the same place.IIRC the seal was already installed in the rear housing.Maybe the finish on the yoke is the problem,or its not round?
looking for the seal too.
Wayne

No issues with my AA sye seal...

:D

i know that currie uses the same PN in their old SYE kits as the factory used in the tailcone...

Wayne Sihler said:
IIRC the seal was already installed in the rear housing.
Yeah, the bearing and seal were already installed when I got it. The seal looks like it was seated correctly but it's entirely likely that the leak is coming through the yoke-seal area. Then again, the entire underbody is drenched in tranny fluid right now so tracking down the leak is going to be a fun one.

AznDrgn said:
Bump

Anyone ever figure out a seal number to get the seals locally?
I hope this is the right one,NAPA #18662,it is a CR seal Chicago Rawhide
Wayne

Back