• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

emergency budget boost

ChandlerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have been scrapping every dollar for my 4.5'' rusty's lift kit, and I had all the money and I was ready to go, when I was slapped with a deductable to get my car fixed from a recent theft... long story short, my dad is pissed that there are 4 huge 31'' tires in the garage taking up space and he says he's going to get rid of the tires if I don't put them on... is there anyway I can throw a 2'' BB, either daystar, or rustys or something and fit these 31's on, i can't have any rubbing while turning, and flex isn't that important, i just need to keep these tires out of my dads way... thanks. i would like to do shackles because add-a-leaf sucks

ChandlerXJ said:
Ok, I have been scrapping every dollar for my 4.5'' rusty's lift kit, and I had all the money and I was ready to go, when I was slapped with a deductable to get my car fixed from a recent theft... long story short, my dad is pissed that there are 4 huge 31'' tires in the garage taking up space and he says he's going to get rid of the tires if I don't put them on... is there anyway I can throw a 2'' BB, either daystar, or rustys or something and fit these 31's on, i can't have any rubbing while turning, and flex isn't that important, i just need to keep these tires out of my dads way... thanks. i would like to do shackles because add-a-leaf sucks

yes

do you have a grinder/jigsaw/sawzall/tinsnips?

put the BB on, put the tires on, then make the body fit the tires...

many write -ups on this and pictures too..

i would get ACOS and a shackle of at all possible...
if not, coil spacers, ZJ coils, Block, AAL, MJ shackle, Extra Main leaf are all acceptable ways to make lift....

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/fender_trimming.htm

I ran 32x12.5x15 superswamper tsl sx's with 3 inches of lift and all I had to do was trim the plastic interior fender liners a little so you should be fine with spacers and shackles for 31"s.

You may need rims with different backspacing to alleviate you tires rubbing on lower control arms, but you COULD trim the fenders, forget the budget lift, and easily fit 31"s with backspacing, and check out my 8.5" lift in classified section for future option.

Im not sure how much you have to spend but i think JC whitney had a 3" for $99 without shocks, madeby rough country IIRC not the best in the world but maybe worth looking too. BTW search around on for how to make you existing shocks fit for now. I know you can relocate the rear mounts higher on the axle and then you could make you own BPE for then front space them up with something for now, till you can get a real lift.

Dingo

why do add a leafs suck. there alot eiser to install then tryin ti get your old shackles off.

I run a set of 31" BFG A/T's with NO lift. All I had to do was pull the fender flares off.,the only time it rubs is at full lock when I turned, so I adjusted the steering stops.

i run a 2" lift with 31" you should be fine.

robz95xj said:
why do add a leafs suck. there alot eiser to install then tryin ti get your old shackles off.
They don't suck. They are the best way to do a budget boost.

However, if you run stock rims you don't need any lift to run 31s. Dig up a link to Ed Stevens' personal web site and read his techical pages.

I ran the JCWHitney 3" budget boost for a while a LONG time ago. Not horrible. The front springs were fine and it came with a helper leaf. For the $$$ it is a good deal. The helper leaf is not a long term solution but it will work and is way better than a lift block. Later I added another leaf cut down from a stock XJ pack and added a poly spacer up front.

Back