• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lots of XJ Q's

MOOSE16285

NAXJA Forum User
I got a few things on topic...

#1 I drove my Jeep through a pond and got hydrolocked about 10 - 15 ft from the other side... I've replaced ALL my fluids already now I'm to the engine. I need to drop my oil pan to replace the gasket, rear main seal and rod bearings. All bolts are off but still wont drop. Any ideas?

#2 Knocking on my lower engine. Only at idle or lower rpms. Is the truely my rod bearings?

#3 Need a snorkel, will TJ or YJ snorkels fit XJ at all? Also any places I can get em real real cheap or got ideas or sites on how to rig my own?

#4 Does anyone have a bedliner sprayed interior on their XJ? Does it really help cause I'm thinking about it. I have completely gutted my XJ.

1990 XJ Sport 2dr 4WD 3in lift 31s custom rack, full 10 speaker Pioneer system, 9 Aux. lights, just my baybe!
Here is three pics of my Jeep... Thanks for reply/view... -MOOSE

aowbxy.jpg

aow9hv.jpg

aowbco.jpg

First of all nice jeep! I Love two doors. Now on to your questions. From what I have read on here, the 4.0s dont take to hydrolocking too well. If it is running now, you may only have a few thousand miles before your engine will go. It would most likely be better to start looking for engines instead of putting money into that one. I am planning on bedliner inside. The jeeps I have seen it with are nice. I am doing the spray on and then my catch-all floor mats over it. As for snorkels, you could get an ARB for $300 plus or find a used one. I dont think the TJ or YJ ones will work. Ive got an ARB, just havent installed it yet. There are lots of posts on here about making a cheap one. If I were to make one, I would make the cowl snorkel. There should be lots of posts if you search or go to www.madxj.com. hope that helps

Dizamn!

Going that deep, I'm suprised you don't already have a snorkel.

Nope, TJ snorkels wont fit 'cuz the airbox is on the oposite side of the engine bay.

Search the forums for "bedlined interior". You should get PLENTY of topics about that one. It will help to go through with that if you play in deep water/mud, 'cuz your Jeep'll smell like a swamp if you keep your carpet through all of it.

HTH

VegasAnthony said:
full 10 speaker Pioneer system

you have that kind of money invested in stereo equipment and you take your rig through deep water crosssings??

9 aux lights?

mismatched tires front and rear?

this one needs some guidance...

Ponds are for fish, not jeeps. If you wanna play like that you prolly need to have the equipment to try. Lights and speakers are great but do not help your floatability. I guess hindshight is 20/20 right?

Start looking for a new motor and a complementary snorkel system. Also, to get the oil pan off, double check all the bolts are off and gently tap the sides with a deadblow. -Josh

Well I'll cut him some slack seeing as its his first post and all, but hey, we all had to start somewhere. Only 10 years ago a million chome shocks, triple roll bars, and a billion KC's were the Shizz-zille yo. Just giving you razing Moose :wave: .

Seriously, like mentioned before, you need to start looking for a new engine. As for the snorkle, save up a little to get the ARB, the fit and finish is so much better than anything you can do and it looks a whole lot better to boot.

By the looks of where you were stuck, I would say either there was liquid courage involved or a very bad guess on how deep it was. I drove through water that deep Memorial weekend and was fine. Oh yeah, I had a snorkel at the time too. Welcome to NAXJA. Lots of good info here for what you are looking for. Just have to do some reading.

Kim.

Sleek interior.....looks exactly like mine... :laugh3: ...Mine floated long enough to actually drift to the right before it went down...Can u say U-Boat Kommander???? Good luck on the motor.

Haha, thank people! 10 speaker was gonna become 16 speaker here in a month before i decided I'd reenact D-day WWII. lol. The speaker boxes floated but the amps burned. As for the pond. not even 12 hrs earlier (the night before) I made it on those "mismatch" tires. I should my weight bench and bought 31s all the way around. Guess the mudderz I bought dont like water much. Anyway, interior is gone (obviously u know by lookin @ da pics). I think I'ma go for the ARB cause it works, i know for a fact n it looks gr8! I'm bedliner spray the inside... Rebuild my stereo... and will get back to you on the engine... This will be updated every day or two... I work on it about an hr or two before or after work... I had a blast sinking it n am having a blast rebuilding it. My 1st Jeep, 1st vehicle, 2nd rebuild! My dad has an 84 2.5L 4WD XJ. Like father like son! lol. I'd like to know what I need to rebuild... It was nothing but water and mud in the oil pan when drained... I've changed and refilled all fluids (tranny, tcase, diffs) now I focus all on my engine from now on. What is recommended? What do I need out side of getting my oilpan dropped to replace my already busted rear main seal, rod bearings n oil pan gasket. I'ma put new plugs, wires, batt, distributor cap w rotor. I havent even checked my fuel tank n lines yet... What do yall think about all this?Anyway, keep posted on this cause I'll continue asking and continue informing progress! Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I still can not get the oil pan loose!!!!! I'm begging this to work! I need advise! I have to finish the Jeep by the end of the week or I must take a leave from work cause I will no longer have a ride too work! Anyway wuth any ideas please reply! Oil pan is stuck to block, gasket wont let go! All bolts are off and starter is off... What to do now?!?!?!

Have you tried using a medium bladed putty knife and a hammer? Try starting on the drivers' side front area about 3-4 inches back from the front. I had to pull my pan awhile back, and it was stuck like yours. Make sure that you have ALL the bolts out, especially the two at each end of the motor (the two on the rear can be hard to see- ask me how I know about making sure ALL the bolts are out. Went from 2 hour job to 2 day job.). hope this helps, Ren

No offense dude, but use regular words. Gr8? Just spell it!! Also, paragraphs would be nice, or spread out the info or something. I can barily read your posts, let alone try and be helpful. Just trying to let you know :lecture:

MOOSE16285 said:
I have to finish the Jeep by the end of the week or I must take a leave from work cause I will no longer have a ride too work!

These boots are made for walking
and thats just what they'll do

hydrolocked engines dont run well ever agian... run a compression test - then you will know what i am talking about.

might want to change the head gasket (if you have mud in the oilpan, im sure you got some in the cylenders)

best of luck - but you are looking at a new XJ...

might but a Jeep "Compas"

Aight, I gave put the oil pan on hold till tomorrow after noon, I bolted n torqued em all back on. Filled it with oil and tryed to turn the engine w/o plugs in. P.O.S. wont turn at all... Sounds like the starter might be a lil rusty from bathing in pond water for over 6 hrs. Also I'm pretty sure I shot the alternator too. Man this is a great project! I'm honestly having a blast trying to fix my mistake. Let me ask, how long would I be looking at to just buy another 4.0L, rebuild it and swap em? Would it be a smart and cheaper or not cheaper but rather les time consuming than to keep messing with my amphibious 4.0L?! I'm gonna remove the starter n have Autozone test it. I just bought the alternator like 4 months ago, maybe Autozone will take it back... I need to get some very good water resistance equipment (starter, etc) cause I plan to try this again when its running again... Call me dumb but... Yea, I'm pretty F'ing dumb! But I will ride it the 2nd time! I'm try the cowl snorkel thing too! Anyway, anyone got more ideas and creative hunches gimme a hollar. I'll try anything, I'll prolly end up swappin 4.0s... TTYL -MOOSE

MOOSE16285 said:
Aight, I gave put the oil pan on hold till tomorrow after noon, I bolted n torqued em all back on. Filled it with oil and tryed to turn the engine w/o plugs in. P.O.S. wont turn at all... Sounds like the starter might be a lil rusty from bathing in pond water for over 6 hrs. Also I'm pretty sure I shot the alternator too. Man this is a great project! I'm honestly having a blast trying to fix my mistake. Let me ask, how long would I be looking at to just buy another 4.0L, rebuild it and swap em? Would it be a smart and cheaper or not cheaper but rather les time consuming than to keep messing with my amphibious 4.0L?! I'm gonna remove the starter n have Autozone test it. I just bought the alternator like 4 months ago, maybe Autozone will take it back... I need to get some very good water resistance equipment (starter, etc) cause I plan to try this again when its running again... Call me dumb but... Yea, I'm pretty F'ing dumb! But I will ride it the 2nd time! I'm try the cowl snorkel thing too! Anyway, anyone got more ideas and creative hunches gimme a hollar. I'll try anything, I'll prolly end up swappin 4.0s... TTYL -MOOSE
Good gravy dude...
1. start looking for another vehicle today, because this one will not be a daily driver any time soon
2. electrical equipment and water don't mix, you may end up replacing everything
3. after this mondo lesson has passed, DON'T REPEAT IT! ! Learn from your mistakes, seal your jeep well before undertaking a water crossing
4. search...

You know those little yellow deep-sea submarines with all the little claws, lights and propellers? Picture what would happen if you pushed one off the back of a flat bed onto a concrete-paved interstate at about 80 mph.

What you have there is not a "great project". It's a parts jeep. Only it's not good for very many parts.

Hey, at least you had fun.

Back