• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Pack Question?

mgreen84

NAXJA Forum User
Another question regarding my step sons jeep, I have a 3 inch RR lift on mine, but on his we are kind of pieceing it together, I have the front 3 inches,- ZJ Springs and a 3/4 Spacer, and RC Shocks, but I am stuck about the rear. I can use an AAL to get 2 inches, but how do I get the extra 1.5" (to allow for a little sag and to level it out) can it be done with AALs alone? or use shackles? I tried to post a want-ad for a whole new leaf pack, but no one has any and to be honest I don't feel like spending my hard earned money (unless I can find some cheap) and turning a 16 year old loose in it, to last about 3.5 seconds. Plus this is the only time I have gotten him interested in anything Mechanical, so the more work the better...so I wanted to know what the "XJ Gods" (you guys) suggested?

Ok I just found a set of Leafs on ebay off of a 95 yj...will these fit the xj and any lift involved in them?...anyone know..

you can get another 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 out of shackles. Usuallly about 80 dollars. New springs with 3.5 bend are somewhere between $120 and 150 each.

Either way you need to pay attention to the pinion angle in relation to the t-case. make sure you have opposing, slightly unequal angles at the u joints.

Should I drop the TC, and how much of an extension should I use for the rear brake hose

TC drop is an option, sometimes all it takes is a slight shim on the spring to adjust the pinion angle

my 98 was lucky I guess, I didn't have any problems. Anything I need to do, to eliminate the wobble? (while I'm under there anyways)

drive it first, then search the forum. There are many causes and solutions for wobble. Its hard to give you a solution for a problem that may not even exist. Im just telling you what to look out for when you are doing the lift.

Totally based on my own experience with a 4.5 RE lift.

mgreen84 said:
Ok I just found a set of Leafs on ebay off of a 95 yj...will these fit the xj and any lift involved in them?...anyone know..

itll give ya some lift but there some drilling of the leaf spring center holes a real pita
dont bother

go with the AAL and shackles
yoiu could put a transfer case drop in ther but Ill doubt you will need it

mgreen84 said:

itll give ya some lift but there some drilling of the leaf spring center holes a real pita
dont bother

Re: YJ springs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasAnthony
hey ranger you said

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_ranger
the front are 2" leaves and the rear are 2.5"

if the arch in the rear leaves is equal to or greater than your current leaves - go for it...

just remember that CJ's have centered leaf spring center pins where teh XJ is offset...
this means drilling through spring steel - which ate about $50 worth of cheap bits with a drill press that was spinning way to fast for the job... (in my case with Skyjacker 4" lift springs for a YJ)

what do you mean drill a hole
can you jus tcut the ends off each side to make them equal in lenght on both sides

YJ and CJ leaf springs are both center pinned - meaning that there isnt any offset to the pin in relation to the pack - it is center.
the XJ has the pin forward - something like 3" forward of where center of the leaves would be...

if you didnt drill the springs out, you wouldnt have that nice cascading springs effect to your leaf pack and it probably would put more stress on the main leaf than you would want to shoot for..

im not saying that you would have to drill a new center pin hole, just that you might want to...

put the heep on stands, pull both leaf packs apart and see how you like it - then go from there...

i drilled holes in 6 skyjacker springs, and it was a harder than mild steel metal - making it eat drill bits...

go with the AAL and shackles
yoiu could put a transfer case drop in ther but Ill doubt you will need it

did teh YJ leaf pack lift - spent 150 on materials and drill bits...

could have had brand new 6" springs for 250.00

and my main leaves are taking it in the shorts from the increased arch...

OK!! I gave in and bought a complete kit. To aggrivating to figure out whats best and all. I know all about the Rough Country rep but I got a 3 inch with leafs and full coils, shocks for $275 (not bad I thought) thanks for all your help but all the technical puzzling together gives me a headache.

Back