• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shifter question

With shifter in Neutral remove the knob amd the boot bezel; lift off the boot, then unscrew and remove the center console portion. Remove the 5 cover bolts and lift the lever straight up and out of the transmission. Check for a snap ring and a spring washer if the lever won't lift out.

Otto,
That was not what I'm asking about.

The shifter handle is in two pieces. They must be separated to replace the lowest two boots (NOT the boots you can see when your interior is in tact).

The FSM gives no instruction on separating lower from upper.

See below:

AX15_ShifterWText.jpg

JeepSpeedRacer said:
The shifter handle is in two pieces. They must be separated to replace the lowest two boots (NOT the boots you can see when your interior is in tact).

The FSM gives no instruction on separating lower from upper.

See below:

AX15_ShifterWText.jpg

It's a stumper!!

I know that this is an old thread, but I need to know how to do this on a BA10 and the pictures on this thread are all gone. It looks like you can just use a punch and seperate the two, but I don't want to screw anything up. TIA.

I don't know if the BA10 is the same as the AX15.

If it is, then you need to unbolt the shifter and pull it from the trans, put it in a vice, and use two hacksaw blades (or two pieces of flat stock about that size) and slip them up in and release the clips, then pull or knock it apart with a mallet.

I don't know if the BA10 is the same as the AX15.

If it is, then you need to unbolt the shifter and pull it from the trans, put it in a vice, and use two hacksaw blades (or two pieces of flat stock about that size) and slip them up in and release the clips, then pull or knock it apart with a mallet.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a minor PITA, but I'll give it a try.

Back