• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for answers.

uvaldetxj

NAXJA Forum User
I already tried the search button, but I wasn't able to find advice on my specific problem. Anyways, today I was at a red light, my XJ was idling just fine. Then the XJ just dies out on me. Everything electrical was still operational : ac, radio, lights, etc. I'm leaning towards the CPS or TPS, but i'm still not too sure. In one of the posts I read, someone mentioned that it could be a IAC sensor or something. The XJ was at it's operational temperature. My fuel pump sounds right, I had my fuel filter changed about 5,000 miles ago. I just changed my oil this past weekend, mobil 1, mobil 1 filter. Air filter is good, distributor cap, rotor, plugs are all pretty new. I'm kind of reluctant to go outside and search for this problem, South Texas gets very hot this time of year. I failed to mention, this only happens when i'm idling for a good amount of time. Any help will be appreciated.

1987 XJ 4.0 AW4 NP231 D44

I've fought this a couple times - and it seemed to be an oddity.

Take a few minutes with a good flashlight, and check the lead from the CPS.

It was doubly irritating for me, since it was intermittent - apparently, the insulation on the wiring had melted thru. Idle vibrations were just enough to "bounce" it off the header, which means that the engine would almost cut out, then come back on.

The good news - you can splice in a new pair of wires to renew the CPS, provided the sensor itself hasn't gone south for the winter.

I've been through this on my 87 and my 88, and was able to fix it with a foot or so of decent twinlead both times...

5-90

5-90 helped me find my problem. It had to do with the CPS. I pulled up on the the cps wiring. The Jeep is now idles fine. Would it be wise to run some of that electrical tubing down on the wiring all the way to the actual CPS? 5-90 said if the wiring from the CPS touched the headers, it would throw it off. I'm guessing that was my problem.

Back