• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replaced rockers attached to cage

gearwhine

NAXJA Forum User
I have a thread in NAC for some things I've done to my jeep, but figured I'd post this up to give some ideas.

They are 2x4 1/8", two supports to the cage, 1 to the frame. I really wanted clearance, and nothing to act as hooks, so the front and rear supports to the cage are completely inside, the middle support has a notch out in the floor to fit so it's tucked up nicely.

170272_94_full.jpg

170272_95_full.jpg

the front and rear tubes you see are cage to frame connection, not rocker stuff, the middle, you can see how it partially goes through the floor.

170272_96_full.jpg

I should never have to worry about this, even with it being 1/8". It indirectly gives my cage 8 connections to the frame. It's also fairly a little amount material, so not heavy at all.

_nicko_

Looks good.
That's sort of the same idea I used on mine.
I had fully welded 2x6x1/4 box tube in place of the rockers last year that double as air tanks. I recently added the 1.5x3x1/8 box tube (section of Detours frame stiffeners) tight along the main rails by plug welding 3/4" holes in seven places along the rail, and stitch welding along the bottom. Two of the 1 3/4" access holes that I plug welded through became the resting spot for the .120 wall DOM tubes that connect the rail with the rocker. It stiffened the heck out of the rig especially with the clayton crossmember to help control some of the flexing between the two sides of the body.
The plan was to build the cage off of the connector tubes up through the floor, but might do a full 2x3 box frame from the firewall back with a full interior cage and parital exo instead this winter.
We'll see what happens.
frame.jpg

frame2.jpg

Last edited:
The bent tube to the rockers definitely looks nice and clean. That was my first plan, but I was so set on having nothing attached to the bottom of the rockers, with the supports having the most clearance possible. That's why I went with straight

I've seen some done this way before with small box tubing going to the bottom, and when they got stuck on that...It was not fun to get it off. there's went all teh way to the outside though. Hopefully the tubing you have will be better than box.

It is a very clean job much cleaner than what i do, and I like how you extended into the front wheel well.

_nicko_

hey mark

i think you left a big gap berore you welded all that up . just kidding great job on the rails and nice name drop for Detours

Back