• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-fan in place of clutch fan.

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
I have a fan from a Volvo, hooked to my battery charger the air it pushes out is somewhere between huricane force and insane. I imagine it will be able to cool my motor, but it might not.

After I do some testing I want to wire it up if it does work. I know how to do wiring with a relay and thigns like that, but I am unsure of how to control the speed of the fan. I dont want the thing goign full tilt all the time becuase it would be pointless. Id like some kind of three speed, with a low for highway, medium for regular driving, and super duper high for the trails.

I dont imagine a resistor can handle that kind of amperage so what should I use? Could I use a "potentiometer" (I know thats spelled wrong) or will those not handle the amperage also?

Looks pretty cool, and it looks pretty expensive.

If I were to wire in a new fan, where would I get my power from? Directly from the battery?

I don't see any cheap way to control speed, resistors do work but amprage draw is still the same. I would add a thermostatic switch and relay and turn it off and on as needed.

Make sure your e-fan has the CFM that you need to cool your engine. I did the swap a few years ago and wasn't satisfied. I found out recently in this forum that you need about 2000 CFM or more to properly cool. My flex a lite 110 moves only about half of that. Go Jeep has a good write up as do several other people here.

Id like to be able to regulate what it draws too. No reason to work the alternator for energy that wont ever make it to the fan. How do the two speed fans in factory viehicles work?

Sounds like you want a pulse width modulation based fan controller such as one from dccontrol.com. I have one on my dual e-fans for the last couple of months and so far so good.

i think i read somewhere that a fan that pulls air as opposed to one the pushes is like 20% more efficient in car applications, maybe take that to mind........

Back