• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick question:flywheel bolts

Generally, yes - I just prefer not to.

Next time I get things apart, I'll take some measurements and see if ARP has any part numbers that will work (I'm sure they do - the crank tail is threaded 1/2"-20, and I'm pretty sure the flywheel is 3/8"-16,) and be sure to share the information.

In a pinch, a brace of Grade 8 bolts will serve for holding the clutch together (but a socket head capscrew is preferred over a hex head,) but I'd not suggest replacing a flywheel retaining bolt with anything but a flywheel retaining bolt. They are designed to rather closer tolerances (to minimise the effects of shear loading,) and the head design is not something you'd find down at the local - maybe, just maybe, at Quality Farm & Fleet - but not down at the hardware store.

Take the time to visually inspect the bolts you remove - carefully. Any sign of thread deformation or any other problem you can see means you should toss the bolt in the scrap heap and get a new one. No sense playing around here - losing these bolts can cause all sorts of trouble you don't want!

5-90

Back