• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

those with aussie front lockers....

93xj-jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
been driving now for about a week with my aussie locker in my front end and wondering about the noise it makes?

when turning corners (in 2wd) it makes a pretty loud noise.....kinda like ratchiting but almost has a clunk sound to it. if im turing real slow it usually wont do it as bad, but as soon as i turn at about 7-8 mph or more it will make this noise....

now i know a little noise is probably ok but mine seems like an awful lot and pretty loud....

i called aussie the other day, and they said that it should not be making that loud of a noise and to check to make sure everything is installed properly, so i took it all apart and reassembeled and it was all perfect...so im wondering if maybe its just a 'break in' noise that may go away or if its a bad noise....

so just trying to find out if you guy's front lockers (particularly aussie) make much noise like this.....TIA

Mine is pretty loud too, seems to be much more noticable than when I first installed it. I have had people in parking lots come running over telling me my wheels were falling off.

I just assumed it was normal...

HHmmm....

I had a lockright in the rear of my XJ for a couple years before putting the aussie up front. I find the aussie much quieter than the lockright. When I first installed the aussie I had to stick my head out the window and listen really close to see if it was even ratcheting properly since I couldn't hear it in the jeep.

I am running a thicker 85w140 gear oil as I only use my rig for trail driving now and wanted the extra protection for the impacts caused by the locker and wheeling as well as good load protection at low speeds.

Bender said:
HHmmm....

I had a lockright in the rear of my XJ for a couple years before putting the aussie up front. I find the aussie much quieter than the lockright. When I first installed the aussie I had to stick my head out the window and listen really close to see if it was even ratcheting properly since I couldn't hear it in the jeep.

I am running a thicker 85w140 gear oil as I only use my rig for trail driving now and wanted the extra protection for the impacts caused by the locker and wheeling as well as good load protection at low speeds.
I would be concerned about running that thick of oil, if you don’t hear the locker clicking it’s not locking fast enough.

It was functioning fine...ratcheting sounds are occuring at virtually the same rate as the rear locker...just much quieter than my lockright. Hand tests show it to work fine as well.

Oh, I bought it about 1.5 years ago when they first came out and since I've ran numerous local wheeling trips, a 10 day wheeling trip in Moab as well as a few days in Paragon PA. In addition to the wheeling I've put about 20k miles so I'm pretty confident it's working within spec.

ya im actually running the thicker 85w-140 oil as well.....when i first installed it i had 75-90 in there and when i called aussie they said to try some 84-140 so i put that in there but no difference in sound....just as loud.

so GEO, ur saying yours got louder the longer it was in there? how is it now? still sound like your wheel is going to fall off, lol? because thats basically how mine sounds as well....

anybody else?

Ive had one in the front for almost two years now it does not make much noise at all. Did you Re - install the shims from the stock spider gears when you assembled it? sounds like it is not shimmed properly. Also i recall the directions mentioning to inspect your cross shaft for wear and to replace it if ANY signs of wear are present.

ya i assume your talking about the thrust washers, which i did reinstall, and my cross shaft looks like its in fine shape.....

all the gaps (measurments) were within spec so i dont know what it could be....

i guess ill just drive it for a while and see what happens?

93xj-jeeper said:
ya i assume your talking about the thrust washers, which i did reinstall, and my cross shaft looks like its in fine shape.....

all the gaps (measurments) were within spec so i dont know what it could be....

i guess ill just drive it for a while and see what happens?

I run synthetic gear lube in mine, maybe try that......cant hurt anything, well except your wallet :)

My rear locker is a LockRight (which is pretty similar to the Aussie) and it is really loud with the ratcheting and clunking while turning. In an case, the thicker gear oil didn't help so I just decided to drive it till it broke. 2 years and it still hasn't broke so I am now assuming it's pretty normal.

I need a new cross pin. Anyone know where I can find one better that stock?
I'm installing a Aussie locker and their instruction seems to indicate that the stock cross pin may not be to good, they even say they may include a new cross pin it the future kits.

formatt said:
i run a synth blend and it's completely quiet. if I'm not in 4wd, i have absolutely no noise at all.

you did grind out the inside of the carrier for clearance, right?

I didnt have to grind my carrier. everything fit perfectly. What part of the carrier needs grinding?

jeepme said:
I didnt have to grind my carrier. everything fit perfectly. What part of the carrier needs grinding?

the inside of the carrier. after placing the springs in the slots, to get your pin to go through the center, you needed to spin everything 90* inside the carrier. the inside of the carrier prevents it from spinning that 90*. if you goto the website, it'll tell you this regarding the D30.

barely any was shaved but it did require it.

formatt said:
the inside of the carrier. after placing the springs in the slots, to get your pin to go through the center, you needed to spin everything 90* inside the carrier. the inside of the carrier prevents it from spinning that 90*. if you goto the website, it'll tell you this regarding the D30.

barely any was shaved but it did require it.

Hmm mine did not require that. But now that I look at the directions it does mention that grinding might be needed in some carriers. I guess I got lucky :)

jeepme said:
If nothing rubs the you don't need to grind anything, just turns out some carrers are thicker than others.

At first, I couldn't hear it ratchet with the windows up. Now it is very noticable, even with the radio on.

I have also noticed that lately it seems like it takes a while to unlock after I shift back to two wheel drive. It still pulls when turning for a while before it frees up and ratchets.

Mine spun OK when I installed it and the other clearances were with in spec so I buttoned it up. Sounds like I'm going to have to take it apart again and check.

format....when you say grind the carrier you just mean so you can get the locker to fit inside right? i did grind mine down so that it would fit in and it spun free without hitting anything.....

it still makes the noise but only at about 7 mph or higher with the wheel turned about three quarters or more.....i can even 'feel' the vibration/noise through the steering wheel. it seems to me like the locker isnt disingaging far enough and the teeth are hitting eachother as it ratchets? everything is installed right though, and all the spacing/gaps were correct so i dunno?

Back