• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rolled on side....won't start

atomno1

NAXJA Forum User
My brother and me were wheeling this weekend and he rolled onto the drivers side of the truck. We got the truck fliped back over and tried to start and it would roll over once the is acted like it locked up. It would do this everytime we tried. We let it sit for about 10 min and tried again and it fired under its own power for maybe 3-4 cycles. The there was a good bit of smoke coming from the engine. We tried it one more time and the starter sounded like it was just spooling up. If you need more info just ask. I am not sure what else to say. I tried to search with little luck. TIA for the help. Pics will follow when I get them.

Cylinders filled with oil? Oil covered plugs don't usually like to give spark. And with the starter trying to turn the engine over with oil in the cylinders not allowing the piston to go it's full stroke, maybe it stripped the teeth on the starter?

sounds like its hydrolocked with oil. pull the plugs and turn it over for about 15 seconds. then wd40 the plugs and wipe them off so they are dry. put the plugs back in and see if that fixes it. a little ether might not be a bad idea if it will turn over but wont start after clearing the cylinders and cleaning the plugs.

kolby

yup, locked up...

pull plugs, crank over and let it blow out, clean plugs... start... run it a while then put NEW plugs and CHECK YOUR OIL.....

done this before... at least the plugs are easy to get to..

JOe

Don't be surprised if you bent or broke a rod. Oil doesn't compress too well, it's always best to pull all the plugs before you crank the engine after a roll.
I hope the motor's OK.. but it doesn't sound good.

hopefully when it caught, it didnt go far enough to bend a rod, and the starter shouldnt have the power to do damage either, usually the starter will strip

Ive rolled on its top while still idling for a few seconds, I shut it down. Once we got it back on its wheels...same thing no start. Replaced all the plugs and good to go. God did that thing smoke like a pig, thought the truck was on fire...good to carry 6 plugs pre-gapped w/ you

-Red

If you ever get it side ways for a long time or completely on it roof, cant drive out of it and it stalls. Always bump the starter afew times before trying to start it. If Its hydro locked youll notice and know you need to pull the plugs its it sounds normal then you can start it as is and might blow smoke.

I did have some close calls with the power steering pump puking fluid when on its side, could easily start a fire. The XJs need a hose on the PS cap and tune it loopign around so it dosent leak when side ways...

have fun.

Back