• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Overdrive?

casm

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know of a selectable overdrive unit for the AW4? I'd like something that can give a half-gear above 3rd and 4th - commuting in my XJ is getting really expensive right now.

Dual Range

Saturn

Keep in mind that I have absolutely no idea if either of these would even get close to working.

:speepin: TIM

I'm confused, doesn't the torque converter lock in 3rd and 4th gears already? If you wanted it to stay in 3rd OD couldn't you just pop it down in third? Fourth already locks down.

Or did I get this all wrong?

Bent said:
Keep in mind that I have absolutely no idea if either of these would even get close to working.

Thanks, though - that gives me some idea of what's out there. The Saturn units look like they're probably more sutiable from a price/packaging point of view.

WobblesXJ said:
I'm confused, doesn't the torque converter lock in 3rd and 4th gears already? If you wanted it to stay in 3rd OD couldn't you just pop it down in third? Fourth already locks down.

This is correct, but I'd like to have a higher gear for freeway use above fourth, and a half-gear between third and fourth for part-throttle town cruising. I've been watching how the AW4 in my jeep acts around town, and part of the reason for its lousy mileage is down to the fact that it won't shift into 4th until you hit about 40. Not good when most of your driving is between 25 and 35.

The gear ratio will not solve your problem. Adding an overdrive will most likely make your mileage worse. It will drop the engine down out of the power band.

Back