• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tandem tranny coolers...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
A couple of years ago I installed the factory tranny cooler in my '98, now I'm thing about installing a B&M or somethig similar in series with it.

Don't know almost anything about trannies, will the pump in the AW4 be stressed wth another cooler?

sv

I woul like to know this as well.
I just got given a almost new tranny cooler out of a Ford F-250 I think?
I wanna put it in but don't want any problems.

mikeny59 said:
A couple of years ago I installed the factory tranny cooler in my '98, now I'm thing about installing a B&M or somethig similar in series with it.

Don't know almost anything about trannies, will the pump in the AW4 be stressed wth another cooler?

sv
Should not be any problem, a good cooler will not add much pressure just make sure you only use one thermo bypass valve in the last one in line. You do need to make sure your not over cooling.

I was told to go through the the added one first to cool it down alot, then through the one in the rad to make sure that it's at normal operation
temp when it goes back to the tranny.
Could be wrong though.
That's why I asked?

Just out of curiosity, is one cooler really not enough? If youre gonna run the larger B&M cooler, thats all you should need. Why not just replace the stock one with a larger one?

tazz said:
I was told to go through the the added one first to cool it down alot, then through the one in the rad to make sure that it's at normal operation
temp when it goes back to the tranny.
Could be wrong though.
That's why I asked?
That's correct.

I guess I could just replace the stock with a bigger one, but I'm trying not to block the radiator any more than I have to. I'd like to put the second cooler somewhere creatively else.

I'm going to be making alot of trips to NH from LI, NY, and with the lift have 31's with 3.55's, most of the time I keep it in third unless I'm doing over 60mph on a level road. Putting the 4.10's I have in is not gonna happen any time soon - have all the tools and such but my '98 is my dd, can't afford the downtime.

Bottom line, need to do everything I can to keep the tranny healthy while it's pushing tires it ought not to be.

btw, found this thread should prove helpful...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58384&highlight=engine+oil+coolers

thanks

sv

Back