• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First Wheeling Trip with Rear Discs

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
Went wheeling yesterday. It was the first trip with the Detroit and discs. If you are doing discs, do yourself a favor and leave off the backing plate. It was muddy, and I got a rock wedged between the rotor and the backing plate. Very annoying! I don't see any real benefit to keeping them. Besides that they worked great. I highly recommend discs. Unlike with drums, I'll be enjoying my Sunday instead of replacing brake shoes after the unusually muddy trail ride.

Harvo said:
Went wheeling yesterday. It was the first trip with the Detroit and discs. If you are doing discs, do yourself a favor and leave off the backing plate. It was muddy, and I got a rock wedged between the rotor and the backing plate. Very annoying! I don't see any real benefit to keeping them. Besides that they worked great. I highly recommend discs. Unlike with drums, I'll be enjoying my Sunday instead of replacing brake shoes after the unusually muddy trail ride.
I just got to try out my ZJ disc conversion on my D44 in my 99' XJ, on my first wheeling trip since doing it! I will never go back to rear drums! It would be the first mod I would do to a different jeep if I bought one. 2 days wheeling class 3-4 trails and they worked great!I am running my backing plates and so far no problems but I can see them getting mud,rocks and debris in them.I probably would take mine off also,but that would leave me with no parking brakes since the shoes and cables mount to the backing plates on the ZJ. Best mod for the $ besides gears and lockers!

Some people say they even take off the backing plates on the front discs. But my thinking is that the plates protect the backside of the rotors from getting nicked by rocks and such.

when i put my d44 together, i left the "Dust Sheilds" off...

no harm yet....

I don't have the dust sheilds on the front of my XJ and i haven't had any problems without them there.

Back