• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rotor removal

CODevilDog

NAXJA Member #1256
I need to remove and replace the rotors tomarow and being new to jeeps would like to know what the size of the nut holding it on is. It is a stock '88 pioner. The nut looks like a reverse torx. Not something I've come across befor at least. Thanks in advance.

Rotors? Brake rotors?

To remove the brake rotor, it is necessary to remove the caliper. I wish I could tell you what size it was - but I can never remember, and I have a batch of brake bolt sockets that I pull out, and just find out which one works (I've got about a dozen different sockets - bits, actually - in my "brake kit.")

Once you have the brake calipers and pads off, the rotors should pull off handily. As I recall, you won't need to pull off the caliper mounting bracket - I don't remember having to do it on any of my four...

5-90

remove the 2 bolts holding the caliper on .slide the caliper off .remove rotor.

atleast thats how i remember doing it on my 95.shouldn't be any different for you that i know of.

the bolt is a 13 mil

CODevilDog said:
The nut looks like a reverse torx. Not something I've come across befor at least. Thanks in advance.

If you are speaking of the caliper retainers they are 12 point bolts, remove with a 12 point socket, as said before 13mm

Rev

On my XJ the caliper bolts require an allen wrench. Don't remember the size.

I've done quite a bit of brake work on quite a few vehicles, and you never know what the heck is going to be holding the caliper on, unless it just came off the factory line. People will use anything with thread on it to replace their calipers, and it can get down right scary. Torx, Allen head, standard, metric, wooden dowels, chopsticks......

Don't even get me started on Ford's "rubber taco" caliper mounts.

Your caliper bolts should be a 7mm allen I believe, or 8mm or somewhere close. Newer jeeps use 1/2" 6pt. bolts from what I've seen.

Leave the 36mm axlenut installed, unless you need to service the hub or axleshaft.

Back