• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Freeze 12 Help From Users

Ghetto2315

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a Freeze 12 kit off of Ebay that includes 3 12oz cans, 1 4oz can of ester oil, quick charge kit that includes hoses and nozzles, and a check guage for $38.

Once and for all, I would like to know if I can REALLY add this into my R12 system without an evac?

I did a search on here and some people say you can mix, others say you shouldnt. Other than that, no good results on Freeze 12 on here...

Anyways, I'm about to recharge my system and I would like to know the step-by-steps you guys did. Do I add the ester oil first or last? All of it or some?? That kind of stuff.

Thanks guys!

Freeze 12 is made to be compatible with R12, hence the number. R134 will cause problems without sucking it down and changing the canister drier.

If the kit you bought didnt come with instructions, I'd recommend contacting the manufacturer for a copy of their instructions.

I agree about the instructions, but man that stuff works like a dream, it got my attention. I used it in a system that had been sitting in a field for 20 some odd years and after a little work and freeze 12 , you could hang meet in the front seat. Good luck

Alright guys... something isnt right.

I attempted to go ahead and recharge my system.

I first attatched all the correct nozzles to the low and high side port. I then took the supplied check guage to check for the psi and I got no reading. I then proceeded to charge the system with a can of Freeze 12. I attatched the hose to the can and the other side to the low side port. I opened the can, turn upside down and let it charge for 20 minutes.

Well.... nothing. The Freeze 12 can is just as heavy as I started with and the air isnt any colder. This happened to the Ester oil can too

Is there something wrong with my recharge kit or something wrong with my XJ?

You said that you opened the can, then turned it upside down. With the can upward for a period, you may have put sufficient pressure into the system to prevent the compressor from running. Usually what I've done is start the car, turn the a/c on high, make sure it's hot outside, of course, open all the windows in the car. Then I screw the filler hose onto the can tightly, screw the valve all the way close to puncture the can. Then connect the other end of the hose to the low side on your a/c (before i open the can). Only then do I invert the can and open the valve on the can all the way up. If your system was discharged, your compressor should start once it gets a flow of refrigerant - usually within a few seconds.

If your system has too much pressure, you can relieve a bit.

If your compressor isn't coming on you can force it to engage - there should be posts on this forum that tell you how to do that.

Good luck.

The low side valve on the compressor is also a shut off valve, you need to turn it in 1 turn to open the charge port. There is a cap on the valve stem.

langer1 said:
The low side valve on the compressor is also a shut off valve, you need to turn it in 1 turn to open the charge port. There is a cap on the valve stem.

Where is that located?

Standing infront of my XJ looking under the hood (driver side is on my right) I have located the low side port (bottom one) and the high side port (top one). To the right of both the low and high side port are plastic black caps that I can screw off. What are those??

Unscrew those black caps. Underneath there will be a metal thing protruding, there is a special tool you should have but since I didnt have it, I made vicegrips work. I believe you turn it the opposite of normal, so righty loosey. You only have to open the low side port, to charge.

Okay so I unscrewed the black plastic cap of the Low Side Port which is shown in the picture below. The Red Cap is my High Side Port and the gold one below is my Low Side Port.
275689_295_full.jpg

But there is nothing that I can turn... no metal thing potruding that I can turn to make loose

Last edited:
94 XJ Sport

Thanks guys for the help.... I finally did it and added 2 cans of Freeze 12, plus a can of ester oil.

The thing is that I'm hesitant to add a third can of Freeze 12.

The check guage keeps reading 0-5 psi and that was before I added the 2 cans of Freeze 12 and the ester oil and read 0-5 psi after I added all that...

so I'm not sure if the check guage is reading correctly so I'll hold off on the 3rd can of Freeze 12 for now

Results are pretty good... its freeeeezing inside the cabin now!

Back