• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

squeaky, creaky shackles

stevexj95

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a 3" OME lift with new spring bushings and the rear shackles squeak like hell on every bump. :doh:

These are OEM-style rubber bushings...was I supposed to grease them somehow or grease the shackle bolts??? I used anti-seize on the bolt threads, but nothing on the inside of the bushing.

no way!! noises from a 4wd?? dude my jeep sounds brand new and it is a POS!

just spray some whtie grease or wd40 on there! u'll b gtg

I think you found your problem my friend you have to grease the bushings before you put them or you get what you have here today, squeaky, creaky shackles. After you put them and grease them, they are great. Juice

Well alrighty then! Thanks for the info...

Now what kind of grease should I use? I did use white lithium grease when I pressed the bushings into the spring eyes, but nothing on the bolts.

What is safe to use with the rubber bushings?

Can I just pull the bolts back out, grease really well and be ready to go?

I use white lithium on poly bushings,even tried the grease used for outboard motors on boats.Looking for grease that wouldnt wash out in less that 3K miles.
Isn,t there a steel sleeve in the bushing ,if so any grease would do.
Wayne

They do have steel sleeves inside. I'll just start checking the parts stores for some really thick white lithium grease if there is such a thing. All I can usually find is that thin spray stuff.

My concern was that I've always heard that petroleum based grease would destroy rubber bushings. I can't figure out how the factory bushings were bone dry...and made NO noise!

If this is my biggest problem after a lift, I feel very lucky...

Thanks

problem solved

I found the simple solution for anyone that's interested...

It seems that I didn't tighten the rear spring eye bolt enough when putting on the new leaf packs. When the bolt is tight, the steel inner sleeve inside the OEM rubber bushings do not rotate as the shackles move (factory setup) and makes no noise...

When I left the bolt a little loose, the sleeve was rubbing against the shackle every time the spring flexed and made a loud squeaking noise.

Check all the bolts when you're finished dummy!!

:anon:

Back