• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help On Wheel Spacers

chilibill

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched for information on how to stop front tires from rubbing on the fender have seen wheel spacers mentioned. Unfortunately I can not find any information on hoe the spacers mount. If they are placed between the wheel and hub it would seem a 1 1/4 inch spacer would take most of the threaded lugs. Can someone please explain how the spacers are installed?

By the way, I am running 32X11.5 BFGs on 15x8 rims that have 4 1/2 inches of back space. Will spacers help stop the rubbing.

Thanks

ColoradoXJ13 said:
you want bumpstops.....

Nope, he wants wheel spacers. 32s will rub the fenders at static height, even at 5" of lift.

I've never seen anyone use them to gain fender clearance, and it seems like it would make the situation worse. If the wheels stuck out farther they would still hit the fenders. You actually need wheels that don't stick out so far, but then you will rub your LCAs.

The ones I've seen used have a set of lugs and a set of holes. The stock lugs go through the holes and you bolt the spacer onto the axle. Then you put the wheel onto the lugs on the spacer with another set of lug nuts.

Spidertrax-WHS-004.jpg

chilibill said:
By the way, I am running 32X11.5 BFGs on 15x8 rims that have 4 1/2 inches of back space. Will spacers help stop the rubbing.

Thanks

I have the same tires on the same wheels. I'm running 4.5" of lift, i rubbed just a hair. 2" bumpstops and light trimming should fix it.

just noticed you are running 4.5" B.S.

I've got a buddy running 15x8 3.75" B.S. and 5" of lift. He rubs when turning, on flat ground, so spacers would make it worse.

Bump-stop and trim, forget the spacers.

I love contradicting myself!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess the spacers are out. The tires rub just a little when turning on level ground and more significantly when the sway bar is disconnected off-road. I am all for trimming the fenders, but have never preformed such surgery. Can anyone suggest any links, with pictures, on how to go about such an operation? Especially instructions so the result won't require follow-up cosmetic surgery. Can the existing fender flares be reused or are after-market ones required?

Thanks again for all the hel

I took a razor blade and cut the plastic where it rubbed inside the wheel well and that solved the problem for me. Until i got my new lift and tires and do a bit more flexing now.

Back