• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grrr another post...

Hawaiian Style

NAXJA Forum User
Really bad month for the Chieff... sorry to keep asking questions but the Chief won't give me a moments rest lately.

Just got him back from the tranny shop for a new torque converter, tranny rebuild, two new rear driveshaft U joints, and new Xfer case seals. In addition to all my other problems, there's now a clicking sound coming from the xfer case near the rear output shaft. It used to have some play in the drive shaft on the rear-end side but all that has moved to the xfer case. Just started after all this work was done. Hard to believe that the output shaft bearings just decided to go bad right after the Chief returned to the shop...

Could it be that something happed when the replaced the rear seal?? Got to take it back to the shop in the a.m. so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully the Chief will settle down after this latest problem, I've dumped about 1650 dollars into him over that last couple of weeks and I really hate to spend too much more!

BTW, my 95 YJ is just sitting around gathering dust. Is the 231 out of it swapable into the Chief if this turns out to be really bad?

Thanks!

Hawaiian Style

Chief is a 88 4.0L Auto and the YJ is a 2.5L 5 speed both 4WD ( obviously.:) )

Wait a minute, you're in hawaii, have a YJ and an XJ and you are telling us that the YJ is gathering dust and it's not the rainy season. Geeze, when I was stationed out there in the 70's it took me all of 4 weeks to cut a BIG sunroof hole in my 58VW, intall snaps and sew a cover out of a surveyed 4x8ft USN coated canvas. Our YJ gets used daily, by my son, well, he's away for a couple of days with his sister, his girlfriend and her parents, guess what I'm using for the next couple of days, now where is that hawaiian tropic :D That hard tops not going back on till the monsoons start again.
As for the 4.0 in the 95, AFAIK it will drop right in, illegal as heck [older engine in newer vehicle]. But then when I was out there my 58 was exempt from any emissions testing or any of that nonsense which saved me alot of grief when I put the 69 Carrera engine and transaxle in there.

Well what can I say? I love my old Chief... he's my favorite of the three jeeps and my all time favorite of everything I've owned. He's old, he's cranky, and he is demanding but I really enjoy driving him. What was Jeep thinking replacing it with the Liberty! My buddy has one and my wife thinks it's "cute" Rules out me buying one. Probably will get a new WJ instead. Can't wait to get my hands on the ZJ!

The YJ sit's atop a 4" lift and 33's. That combined with the fact that it's got a 2.5L 4 banger rules out anything over 60MPH without flogging it. I don't want to buy it new gears because I plan on a 5.2L V8 swap. (I'm thinking Dakota donor engine and 5 speed if I can ever find one) D60's would be nice front and back but I'll have to see about money. May end up with a D44 up front and the D60 in back. For now it gets to relax in the comfort of my garage and only gets driven a couple times a week to keep it up. Originally the YJ was my wife's...

I don't want to swap the engines, I was wondering if I could "borrow" the Xfer case out of the YJ and put it in the XJ. Pretty sure the YJ's got the AX-5... just wondering if it would mate up on the AW-4 in the XJ.

Where were you stationed? Pearl or Barbers Point?

Last edited:
Sub base at pearl, Comsubpac right across from the dive tower, they had one heck of a good hobby shop down near the supply center, lifts, presses, welders. Two full time chief machinists mates, with good attitudes and on shore duty, ran the place. Thats where I learned to rebuild vw and porsche engines. Used to run on the beaches at Bellows afs and out on the point near the sat station, it was a great place to be 21 and single :D
We're planning a trip out there in two years, going to stay at that hotel special services built on the beach at waikiki.
And where pray tell do you run over 60 cept on the Interstate, I doubt traffic has gotten any better since I was there and it was bad back then ???
That YJ with the 4 banger should have come with 4:11 gears and should take 4:56's with no problem.
As far as the TC is concerned, our 89YJ's looks identical to the 231 in the 98XJ, though with the big belly pan under there it's hard to see. Besides the bearing replacement is not that hard, do you use the hobby shop ???

The input gear on the yj t/c will most likely be different. A lot of the 4 poppers had a 21 spline input gear not sure if they all did. The XJ 4.0 depending on the year could have either 21 or 23 splines.

Back