• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dynomax Vs Flowmaster

cassio

NAXJA Forum User
trying to decide against the dynomax ultra flow or the flowmaster 40 series

or does anyone have anyother suggestions

how do they sound on the 4.0

thanks cas

I would go with at least the 50 series (three chamber) if you go the

Flowmaster route. I just put a 50 on my MJ and will prolly go w/ a little quieter model for the XJ. I chose Flowmaster for the welded internal "ribs" that will help extend its life in the rocks. There are similar mfgs out there, but the shop that did my cat back had the FM for a good price. Muffler, 2.5" cat back installed; $180.

Value: 2 cents

Last edited:
i'm planning on dynomax. it's only an extra 25 bucks over flowmaster and from what i understand, flowmaster USED to flow really well back in the day. the way i heard it was that the technology increased and flowmaster just stuck with the same setup. i'm NOT saying that flowmaster doesn't flow well, but if you ever plan on other performance mods i.e. a stroker, blower ect. the dynomax will flow better than the flowmaster.

edit: of course as far as the strength against rocks i couldn't tell you. my opinion was based on performance alone.

I like my Dynomax. It's not to loud and it has taken a good beating. I have heard the Flowmaster on several rigs and they sound great, but I heard that they are fairly loud on the street (fwy daily driver).

Good luck!

Robert

they also make an ultraflo welded which is strong enought to park your jeep on. Flows great since its a straight thru design and is quiet at highway speeds but you will notice it being louder then stock at higher rpms.

I run the Dynomax, but bought it a long time ago, when I got the Jeep. It flows well, its that loud unless you step on it. Totally different sound than the (older) flowmasters. Dynomax has a more "stock sportscar" sound while I find the Flowmaster deeper, louder and more hollow (think open pipes).

cassio said:
trying to decide against the dynomax ultra flow or the flowmaster 40 series

or does anyone have anyother suggestions

how do they sound on the 4.0

thanks cas

I use my flowmaster series 50 as a lift point when jacking my jeep. It's heavier duty than the cherokee frame rails.

alright so here it is...
i own a 2000 xj 4.0 liter w/ no cat with a flowmaster series 40 (2.5 all the way from the collection tube)
old buddy owns a 97 TJ with a 4.0 liter cat and a dynomax ultraflow...(2.5 from the cat back)

we both agree mine is louder and deeper in tone...

note at 2000rpm if i throttle real steady like thru a parking area car alarms go off...

the men in our family like to announce their presence with the vehicles...dads been rattling moms china from blocks away for as long as i can rememeber...
oh yea dad just bought a "walker racing" (2.5)muffler from the local napa for moms van and it has a really nice sound behind that 350 in her van...for the money not a bad buy...i didn't see how it was constructed but if its associatted with walker evans racing i might look that way next time....

hth
maier

walker is a muffler company/ same company as dynomax which are both owned by tenneco. however i dont know whether the one from napa is a turbo muffler or not.

Im running the welded ultraflo from dynomax. All the shops i talked to tried to talk me into a turbo muffler, but a friend has a dakota with the 5.2 v8, and the flopro turbo sounds stock. I love the ultraflo, sounds great, i like it better than anything ive heard, other than a Borla on my buddies T/A

Matt

I used to run a dynocrap, but it sounded like farting through a trumpet. Put a Flowmaster 50 series on and sounds great now. Oh yeah, its on 2.5" mandrel bent from the cat back.

Brother ran a 40 series in his, sounded about the same, just a little. If I ever smash my 50 series, I'm going to go with a 40 for better clearance.

Back