• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ renix airbox compatibility

Bounty Hunter

NAXJA Forum User
I need a new airbox for my '88 MJ, I picked one up from a Renix XJ and it doesn't seem to want to fit into the grille and fender like it should. Do I need a MJ specific airbox? Anybody got one they want to part with?

They're all the same. Somewhere in the mid to late 90s they eliminated the cold air inlet, but even those will fit. If you got one from a Renix, it's the right one.

I'll mess with it some more, but it sure seems this Renix XJ box won't fit in my MJ. I too would have guessed that everything is the same between the two as far as inner fenders and grilles.

Eagle, are they the same 4-banger to 4.0?
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

Pete M said:
Eagle, are they the same 4-banger to 4.0?
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com
Early 4-bangers are longer and skinnier than the 4.0L ones. Not sure when they standardized. I'll try to remember to look at the 86 and 88 4-bangers tomorrow.

The lid of my original MJ airbox is about all I have left intact of the original setup, and it's longer than the XJ Renix airbox I'm trying to fit in there. I can't get the XJ airbox in there for anything, seems as if the fender beneath the front of the airbox isn't quite deep enough for the airbox. :wierd:

Back