• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some quick help on 85 Cherokee 2.5L

clayton00grand

NAXJA Forum User
I just put new brakes and calipers on my cherokee, ran fine before now after brakes done. It wont idle, gurgles then dies. If I barely push the throttle it seems to run pretty good. Thats making me think vacuum leak. I checked all hose and stuff last 2 nights no luck finding a bad one. I have read the EGR being clogged would do that, if that is where is it. Does anyone else have any ideas what to look for. I did do a compression test on it and 3 of 4 cylinders had 90-120, Ran out of light to check the fourth one. plEASE ANY HELP WOUD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

clayton00grand said:
I just put new brakes and calipers on my cherokee, ran fine before now after brakes done. It wont idle, gurgles then dies. If I barely push the throttle it seems to run pretty good. Thats making me think vacuum leak. I checked all hose and stuff last 2 nights no luck finding a bad one. I have read the EGR being clogged would do that, if that is where is it. Does anyone else have any ideas what to look for. I did do a compression test on it and 3 of 4 cylinders had 90-120, Ran out of light to check the fourth one. plEASE ANY HELP WOUD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Since you were messing with your master cylinder I would check all the vac lines around the carb and all other connections at the carb. I know you said that you had already checked the vac lines but you might up bumped something around the carb to make it act like this. Check your carb to see if it is actually tight to the engine. When you get on the gas does it still want to die an you or does it rev up normally than want to quit when it gets back around idle?
I don't see anything with your brakes making your engine run like this so I would leave that out. Possibly check your plug wires and distributor to see if everything is the way it is supposed to be. Kindof hard to determine what is wrong without listening to your engine so maybe a little better description would help. Good luck.

Kim.

Check the large vacuum line that goes to the brake booster.

When you start it up, after pumping throttle and it idles down it spits sputters and starts to shimmy a little bit then just dies, I cant tell you the RPM's because my gauges is not at 0 when you start it. I did check that large hose around 3/4"dia into the power booster certainly will check it again but looked good. Im sure the brake job had nothing to do with it, I am getting so friustrated with it running out of options.

Back