• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

choosing the right muffler???

cassio

NAXJA Forum User
i wanted more sound from my jeep and so was looking to getting a new muffler

the plan is to keep the stock pipes and just switch out the muffler

the choices i had in mind were

flowmaster 40 series but its pricey

the theres the dynomax ultra flow or the turbo

well guys let me know what are good choices and some alternative choices
for a loud deep clean rumble....

thanks
cas

is the dynomax a fully welded unit ? Which model is it.

I have a flowmaster 50 series, its what the tech guys at flowmaster recomended for the 4.0's displacement. It sounds nice on the loud side not for everyone, you might consider the flowmaster 50 series DELTA FLOW it has noise cancellation properties that reduce frequencys you hear in the cabin but still has that flowmaster sound to it.

I run a glass pack from Summit. Cheap, only like $30. Does the trick, low profile, stays away from the rocks and gives a nice rumble. But you can't beat the sound of a Flowmaster.

motorcityxj said:
is the dynomax a fully welded unit ? Which model is it.

I have a flowmaster 50 series, its what the tech guys at flowmaster recomended for the 4.0's displacement. It sounds nice on the loud side not for everyone, you might consider the flowmaster 50 series DELTA FLOW it has noise cancellation properties that reduce frequencys you hear in the cabin but still has that flowmaster sound to it.

I understand that the DynoMax Super Turbo is rolled not welded.
How important is it that it be fully welded?

Jeff-97XJ

Flowmaster is shaped great for rocks, is durable and sounds good.
Flowmasters like to eat your carpets, use the AirBake cookie sheet as
a heat barrier.

thisfirstlove said:
just get the flowmaster
I agree 100%, ive bashed the shiat out of mine and even ripped it off 4 times. and all it has to show is a few small dents.

thisfirstlove said:
just get the flowmaster

FlowMaster is an enigma.

People love it and people hate it.

From what I've read it seems to depend on how much NOISE you want. I prefer quiet, but a little louder than stock, just to let everyone know that I got a mean machine-sorta.

Lots of people got rid of the FlowMasters due to intolerable noise levels.

Not what I have in mind, especially since I have ordered a header too.

I agree that everyone agrees that FlowMaster is built like a brick XXhouse. I just don't want to spend money on something that I doubt would be in my sound level. I am just now getting used to my tire noise.

Thanks for your input though-
Jeff-97XJ

I replaced my old Flowmaster, can't even remember what it was when I bought it but the interior noise level was starting to get to me after 4 years. The shop recommended the Flowmaster 50 series SUV muffler, and it's alot less noticable in the cab. Still has a nice exhaust note though. I don't do alot of offroading, but my old muffler held up for 4 years of winter road salt so I am a believer in their construction.

Do aftermarket exhausts count as spark arrestors? Everywhere in Ohio and Michigan requires spark arrestors (and I would assume all Nat'l Forests do, too).

Timber said:
Do aftermarket exhausts count as spark arrestors? Everywhere in Ohio and Michigan requires spark arrestors (and I would assume all Nat'l Forests do, too).

A muffler qualifies as a spark arrester pretty much everywhere. The spark arrester requirement is usually intended for dirtbikes, quads, etc.. that run a more strait pipe style exhaust.

A straight through type muffler like a glasspack won't cut it for National Forests as a spark arrestor. The reasoning for it is they will allow hot pieces of carbon to go straight through to the ground and start a fire.

I run a Flowmaster 50 series with an XtremeFlow Cat, I had the exhaust shop use an increase nipple out of the cat (to 3" pipe) and top is off with a tapered 3.5 in tip, sounds like Dodge Viper on steroids, but actually pretty quiet in the cab (of course I had most of the underbelly coated with rhino lining a few year ago)

Back