• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny swap

swoop

NAXJA Forum User
i have a bad peugeut 5 speed in my 2x4 mj, that i wanna swap in a ax15 5 speed from a 4x4 xj, is it as simple as remove and replace or would i need a different yoke? i would be keeping the mj 2x4 at this time, i may convert it to 4x4 some day...

thanks

swoop said:
i have a bad peugeut 5 speed in my 2x4 mj, that i wanna swap in a ax15 5 speed from a 4x4 xj, is it as simple as remove and replace or would i need a different yoke? i would be keeping the mj 2x4 at this time, i may convert it to 4x4 some day...

thanks

http://www.drivetrain.com/pugojeepBA_10.html

Look for the "upgrade peageut transmission" towards the bottom. It lists what you need to replace. It's not as simple as you make it would seem.

It is a fairly straight forward swap to install an AX-15, but you can't use any of the Peugeot to make the AX-15 2wd, you'll have to get a T-case (that mathes your AX-15's spline count on the output shaft) and a rear driveshaft from a 4wd MJ that has the manual trans and the same bed length. As well as the other odds and ends in the above article.
Jeep on!
--Pete

88 MJ (ex 2wd)
86 MJ

ComancheClub.com

thaks for the link!

so i would esentially have a 2wd mj with a tcase installed and no front Drive shaft? would i put a blank off plate on there or something?

what about swapping to the aw4 and a 242? which would be easier/cheaper?

Why not just find an AX15 out of a 2 wheel drive XJ? Then you might get lucky and be able to use your stock driveshaft. Of course, I'm not sure if these exist. Just throwing it out.

BA

Back