• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motorcycle Questions

Spudboy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1976 Yamaha DT-250 (enduro) that has sat in the back of my dad's shop since 1983. During that time it has not been started. I'm thinking I should try to get it back on the road as it is in excellent shape and only has 5100 miles.

So the question is: What should be done to the engine before attempting to start it? It does turn over, but right now has no battery.

Any other tips for old bikes? The forks are leaking, so I'll have to rebuild those. Also need to make sure everything is properly lubed.

Another question: Other than JCWhitney, does anybody know of sources for parts for old but not necessarily vintage motorcycles?

Thanks for any help

First, (and you should have done this prior to spinning the motor, but it's hard to resist), you're going to need to pull the spark plug and get some oil in the bore. It will have been bone dry in the cylinder for a long time, and you risk scarring the cylinder running the rings against it dry.

Problem is, that you may have developed a small ring of rust on the cylinder wall where the rings rested, and there ain't no quantity of oil you dump in there that will help you if this is the case.

So, it depends on what your intent is with the bike. If it's just going to be a toy, I'd oil down the cylinder and crank it over a coupla times without a spark plug in it, then toss some gas in and try to fire it up. If you want to protect its pristine condition, you're going to need to rip into the motor a bit.

Oh, and check your gas tank for rust. If gas was left in the tank, it WILL have rust inside. There's a product called "Kreme Coat" that can help recover a gas tank from such rust.

And, I'd check the carb too. Oh wait, that's a two-stroke isn't it? I'm not sure how vulnerable the reed valve and intake assembly on two-strokes are to old gas and varnish. Might not be a problem. (I'm a 4-stroke guy myself.)

Good luck!

Yeah I got a few dirtbikes myself...
Definetly put oil in the sucker before starting it. Finding a new cylinder after scarring the old one will nt be fun or easy...

I used to be a motorcycle tech for a dealership, and have dealt with your situation more than a few times. What you want to do is change all the fluids that you can. I believe that because it is a DT is is oil injected but I may be wrong, but anyways drain and clean the tank, oil injection tank and crankcase. Make sure the tank and in tank filter are clean and rust free and replace all fluids with a good quality stuff, put a little oil in the cyl and a new plug, if your carb jets are not all gummed up from bad gas it shoud fire up. Then take it easy work as if you just rebuilt the the motor, if there is crap all gummed around the rings you want to work it out slowly not harden it by running the thing super hot trying to "blow it out" at a high rev. I dunno what is around your area for bike places but I know for sure that Vintage Iron, they are online, sells parts for your bike, and if you are lucky so will a local bike salvage yard.

thanks all for the tips.

Moto: yes it is oil injected, which in some ways makes me nervous. Just hope the injector system still works. I'll have to look at Vintage Iron - I thought I had seen that one but maybe not. I could find lots of places that specialize in the collectable bikes, but not many that had parts for rice burners.

thanks again

Back