• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ add a leaf

I just used a "generic" shackle kit from Auto-zone, trimmed the "ears" off the factory shackles, and put a 3/8 bolt wtih a sleeve in the top hole of the kit below the spring. I have had no trouble with this since I put the 3/8 bolt in the shackle. The drive shaft also has not been an issue.

I was hoping for something a little better than a rough country add a leaf. But If theres no other choice I guess thats what Ill get. What other add a leafs do they have for a MJ and does the whole dakota spring thing work?

jeeppowermj said:
I was hoping for something a little better than a rough country add a leaf. But If theres no other choice I guess thats what Ill get. What other add a leafs do they have for a MJ and does the whole dakota spring thing work?

any 3" xj AAl will work for MJ or findan s10 3" aal

Adding leaves out of a Dakota or S-10 is the way to go.

XJ AALs will work, but they don't give as much lift in an MJ as they do in an XJ. Remember the XJ stock springs sit basically flat at rest. MJ springs are arched. Rancho lists the same AAL for both the XJ and the MJ. Their catalog says 2" to 2-1/2" for both. Knowing that's impossible, I called Rancho and asked. Talked to an application engineer who said that's a misprint. It's 2-1/2" in the XJ but only 1-1/2" in the MJ.

I have a Skyjacker 3" kit in my MJ, and it includes a full-length AAL. It was installed by the previous owner, but I haven't had any problems with it and I've hauled some heavy loads.

Eagle said:
Adding leaves out of a Dakota or S-10 is the way to go.

How does that give 3"? Or do you mean a Dak/S-10 add-a-leaf?
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

I skimmed through that post and all the info I saw refered to the XJ. MJs have a ton more arch than an XJ (SOA vs. SUA) and comparable arch to the S-10 and Dakota so the S-10/Dak leafs should not equal much (if any) lift.
Jeep on!
--Pete

if you change your mind and want as set of MJ aal
I have a set that I ran for about a year and they give a good 3" lift
I just did the axel over swap and dont need them I would take $50.00 plus shipping

Let me know

[email protected]

I also have a ADD-A-Leaf for the rear but as yet have not installed it. I put in a 1.5" + shackle for a XJ, in my MJ. I figured it would only net me about an inch or less lift. My biggest reason for doing it was the poor condition of the factory shackles. But I ended up with a healthy amount of lift over stock!!

AFTliftREAR.jpg
Shacklesdone.jpg

c668b608.jpg

Right now, (shackle only) it sits at 36" to the lower edge of the flair with a 30" Tar. The last pic, was right after the install, before everything settled. Once it did, I was at the 36" as the first pic shows.
Now, I have a 3"+ coil in the front and the 1.5 + shackle in the rear. The Jeep sits ass high by about 1" and looks good to me. I am afraid it would be too high in the rear with the extra leaf.

I do not know if I will do the ADD-A-Leaf. I dont want to make the ride any harsher but would appreciate the extra payload it would afford....

Last edited:
I am installing a RE6020 3.5 XJ lift on my 87 MJ Sunday.

I am not installing any leafs.

4-shocks, two springs, upper and lower Control arms.

I think I may change the shackle. Usually, changing the shackle

never did much. I'll try to post a couple pics when I am done.

...BOB

Back