• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aluminum core or factory 2 row?

corbinafly

"Mmmm. More please."
Check out this link and let's hear some thoughts. Near the bottom of the page there is a picture of their single row core next to a 2 row core. Let's assume for this comparison that the 2 row is a Modine since everyone seems to like them.
Also, if you have any thoughts on how much better (a little, a lot) one is compared to the other please give your input.

Thanks in advance.

K
http://www.alumrad.com/dblpass.html

They had a booth at last years' Offroad Expo in Pomona. Nice guys with a very nice product. If I hadn't just ordered a Modine, I would have bought one from them. Can't beat the made in :us: factor.

I don't remember their price, but it was very reasonable.

Ronbo said:
They had a booth at last years' Offroad Expo in Pomona. Nice guys with a very nice product. If I hadn't just ordered a Modine, I would have bought one from them. Can't beat the made in :us: factor.

I don't remember their price, but it was very reasonable.
$198. I think that's very reasonable if it works as well as they say. I too just put in a new Modine but might .......

K

Anyone else?

corbinafly said:
Anyone else?

I just went with a elcheapO chinacrap0, I can't say it didn't solve my problems for a lot less, but I sure as hell wouldn't have installed it on anything less then my 92 xj (generic peice of shit!!!). If your running anything more then junk, spend the money on a good rad, Alumin or not, don't skimp on the cooling components on an xj.

Just my two cents from a poor bastard.

Bob

just one thing. the single core radiator sold on that website is not made by them. it is made by Visteon and you can get the same radiator from radiatorworld.com for $116.

If you don't believe me call the guys at alumrad.com and tell them you want that same radiator with aluminum tanks instead of plastic, they will tell you that they can't get the core. if they can't get the core then they can't make the radiator, Give they guys at Radiatoworld.com a call.

Dingo

Dingo509 said:
just one thing. the single core radiator sold on that website is not made by them. it is made by Visteon and you can get the same radiator from radiatorworld.com for $116.

If you don't believe me call the guys at alumrad.com and tell them you want that same radiator with aluminum tanks instead of plastic, they will tell you that they can't get the core. if they can't get the core then they can't make the radiator, Give they guys at Radiatoworld.com a call.

Dingo
Dingo, you've been running the visteon right? How's it working out for you. And are you still using the 14" zirgo plus factory electric? And if so, are you using a shroud with the zirgo?

K

corbinafly said:
Dingo, you've been running the visteon right? How's it working out for you. And are you still using the 14" zirgo plus factory electric? And if so, are you using a shroud with the zirgo?

K

Yeah im running the visteon, works perfectly even in the 100*+ days we've had recently the jeep never goes over 210, wiether im pulling hills idling in traffic or running on the freeway. And you are correct on my fan setup, the stock 93+ electric and a 14" Zirgo without a shroud. and i actually managed to get the Zirgo to fit without removing the stock fan pulley, i did this by moving the upper mounting holes for the radiator forward by about an 1 1/4" or so, then trimming the upper rad support to clear the hoses and filler neck. I have about an inch of clearance from the deepest part of the fan to the pulley.

The only problem i have so far is that the Zirgo fan can slide forward about a 1/4" on the brackets that are slip-fit onto the fan, but a drop or glue or silicone will stop this. I did however add the heat exchanger for the onbaord shower at the same time, so i've been wondering about the added capacity of that and the effect it is having on the system. I can get pics of my setup tommorow if any wants to see what i did.

Dingo

Dingo509 said:
Yeah im running the visteon, works perfectly even in the 100*+ days we've had recently the jeep never goes over 210, wiether im pulling hills idling in traffic or running on the freeway. And you are correct on my fan setup, the stock 93+ electric and a 14" Zirgo without a shroud. and i actually managed to get the Zirgo to fit without removing the stock fan pulley, i did this by moving the upper mounting holes for the radiator forward by about an 1 1/4" or so, then trimming the upper rad support to clear the hoses and filler neck. I have about an inch of clearance from the deepest part of the fan to the pulley.

The only problem i have so far is that the Zirgo fan can slide forward about a 1/4" on the brackets that are slip-fit onto the fan, but a drop or glue or silicone will stop this. I did however add the heat exchanger for the onbaord shower at the same time, so i've been wondering about the added capacity of that and the effect it is having on the system. I can get pics of my setup tommorow if any wants to see what i did.

Dingo
Yes. Please post some pics. Is the zirgo the one with the s blades or straight blades, and is it loud?

K

corbinafly said:
Yes. Please post some pics. Is the zirgo the one with the s blades or straight blades, and is it loud?

K

I'll have pics up soon, yes it is the s-blade model. it's very quiet i think that the stock e-fan is actually louder.

Dingo

okay here's the pics

808664_63_full.jpg

In this pic you can see the how much i had to cut to get the filler neck to clear and you can see the brackets i build to hold the fans. and at the top you can see how much i moved the upper support back for more clearance.
And don't give me crap on the cuts i have a new core support that i will cut soon so that it looks better.

808664_64_full.jpg

this is the clearance from the deepest part of the fan to the stock fan pulley.
just a couple notes, i have urethane motor mounts so the engine doesn't move much, i didn't want to remove the stock pulley because i've heard or problems with the belt slipping on the alternator, and i removed the a/c condensor. I believe there is still enought room for it to fit even with a trans cooler, but i probably won't be able to find out till next spring when i try to reinstall the a/c

808664_65_full.jpg

Dingo

Thanks for the pics Dingo. Looks like you've got the cooling issue all figured out.

K

Back